Founded in 1992, Montreal-based Behaviour Interactive is one of North America’s largest independent game developers with close to 600 employees and over 70 million games sold on every platform. To date, the company’s games have reached more than 200 million players worldwide. In 2019, its most successful IP, the award-winning Dead by Daylight, celebrated 12 million players. Behaviour counts amongst its partners some of the world’s most recognized brands such as Sony, Disney, Netflix, Activision, Warner Bros, Ubisoft, Xbox Game Studios, Google, Bombardier, Wargaming, HBO, NetEase, Gaea, La Capitale, and many more. For more information: bhvr.com.
The Technical Artist is essential to ensure that technology, tools and processes are in place to realize the artistic vision of a project. They work with the creative team to explain the capabilities and limitations of the technology, as well as with the technical team to promote the needs of artists and find multiple solutions to technological issues.
- Acts as a resource person for the team members to determine the technical impact of the artistic vision;
- Simplifies production by finding ways to automate tasks and improve processes;
- Develops best practices, solutions and tools in order to solve problems;
- Promote the reuse of assets, know-how and tools across multiple projects;
- Ensures that the team has the technical expertise to do the work required in the project;
- Seeks to constantly push the limits of technology;
- Establishes strong communication between the creative and technical teams;
- Finds innovative solutions and demonstrates expertise in the field of technical optimization to produce the best visual results possible within the limits of technology equipment;
- Ensures the synchronization of art related technologies and tools with the Montreal studio;
- Strong comprehension of the rendering pipeline in order to gauge the impact on performance.
- Degree in Fine arts, Computer science or Engineering;
- 2 years of experience related to 3D modelling, textures, frames, animation, lighting, special effects and scripts;
- Technical Knowledge in real-time 3D graphics and digital content creation pipeline;
- Realtime and pre-calculated lighting knowledge;
- Experience in creating and optimizing Particles and VFX
- Good communication skills
- Experience in the video game industry;
- Understanding of scripting and programming (Python and Mel, materials and shaders, an asset);
- Experience in creating and deploying versions and production processes;
- Experience with commercial 3D tools (Maya, 3ds Max, Substance);
- Mandatory experience with Unity (other game engines will be considered an asset);
- Understanding rendering hardware on multiple platforms, specifically mobile devices, PC and current generation consoles;
- Fluent in English and French.
Your portfolio is mandatory with your application.