At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar London is on the lookout for talented Technical Artists who possess a passion for Technical Art to help develop and support our titles. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar's unique game development studio in the heart of London.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout Art - from content creation through to the game (across multiple platforms).
- Create and maintain tools and pipelines that improve our Art workflows.
- Provide general support for an ever-growing Art team and document/share solutions/knowledge with wider team.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Art team and our projects.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of a global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Art department) such as Tools and Runtime (Engine) teams.
- This is a generalist Technical Artist role. The candidate could potentially be involved in a wide variety of technical tasks related to Art.
- Note: This not a regular Artist position so the candidate won't be doing any creation of artwork.
- Create tools within 3DS Max in Maxscript and C#/WPF.
- Create tools within Houdini/Substance/Maya/Blender in Python/QT.
- Write standalone tools/systems (in C#/WPF or Python/QT) and integrate them with our Art pipeline.
- Create advanced HDAs to help with procedural creation of artwork where possible.
- Work with Runtime and Art teams to push engine features which improve our Art processes within the constraints of the platforms we are targeting.
- Write new Automation tasks to support our ever expanding and varied Art requirements across multiple projects.
- Create tools/scripts to support Art production/tracking (integrating with inhouse systems and 3rd party solutions such a Shotgun).
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist or similar/related position from industries such as Film/VFX.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skill set.
- Strong coding/scripting skills with OOP knowledge.
- Ability to write tools within DCC packages or standalone.
- Understanding of using DCC packages for authoring game Art.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Comfortable coding in modern IDEs and debugging.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a schedule and deliver effectively to deadlines.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
HOW TO APPLY
- Professional experience developing pipelines and/or tools in Games/Films/VFX is highly advantageous.
- Experience creating scripts/tools for 3DS Max, Houdini, Maya, Blender or Substance is highly advantageous.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework is highly advantageous.
- Experience with Python (standalone or within the context of a relevant DCC) is highly advantageous.
- Experience working with WPF, XAML, and the MVVM pattern.
- Experience with QT (PySide/PyQt or C++) and Model/View pattern.
- Experience programming C++ plugins 3DS Max, Houdini or similar DCCs for Art.
- Experience using source control software (i.e. Perforce, Git) and working on a code base collaboratively.
- Professional experience as an Artist in games (although this is not an Artist role).
- Experience using other game engines (e.g. Unreal/Unity or proprietary tech).
- Experience with Simplygon, InstaLOD or similar geometry optimization tech.
- Experience with SpeedTree.
- Experience creating scripts/tools for Photoshop, InDesign, etc.
- Experience of using Shotgun.
- Experience with NoSql (MongoDB/Elastic) or relational/Sql databases.
- Professional experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Professional experience working in a large team spread across multiple locations and timezones.
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you've got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.