Thank you for your interest. We are always looking for experienced talent to join the Pipeworks team!
The Senior Character Artist will work closely with the Art Lead/Studio Art Director to support various projects on their character design, modeling, and texturing needs with styles ranging from cartoony to realistic.
- Create high poly sculpts, low poly models and textures for characters per the project needs
- Investigate and test optimal approaches for each platform that hit the highest quality within the given project requirements
- Understand what the Art Lead requires for the project then research, develop, and implement solutions in engine
- Research current techniques used and utilize most relevant processes
- Work with other departments as needed
- Help the art team find answers to difficult problems
- Manage other character artists and outsourcing
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Understanding of Maya and/or Max
- Unity experience is a must; Unreal familiarity a benefit
- Ability to create character textures within tools such as Substance Designer
- Ability to create and work off of complete and incomplete character concepts
- Ability to assess suggestions and come up with creative solutions
- Ability to work with others on defining the character pipeline that may or may not rely on an in-game character editor
- Possess an understanding of how animators will work with the character to make strong modeling choices
- Ability to work closely with technical artists to develop new or improved techniques to improve visual quality
- Ability to keep a clear and consistent schedule.
- Ability to work with Tech Artists to find solutions for elements such as hair and cloth
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to provide estimates for project planning
- Possess and understanding of bug fixing and investigation
- Ability to use Zbrush or Mudbox
- Ability to rig and weight a character model
- Ability to concept character art
DEMONSTRATED ABILITY TO
- Make strong visually impactful character art and push the envelope when needed
- Work in an organized way
- Work effectively with other artists and engineers to achieve project goals
- Solve problems to the benefit of the project/team
- Work on both a project and studio level when evaluating processes that might speed up work
- Research new and improved character creation techniques and software
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any degree or certification in Art or equivalent work experience.
Materials Required: Candidate should provide portfolio of art that they have created or directed and a resume detailing the projects/studios that they have been a part of.