Cloud Imperium Games is looking for an experienced Senior Character Artist to join our team!
This candidate will collaborate with the Art Director to develop celebrity characters, creatures, and armour for Star Citizen. In this role they will create AAA quality characters for use in gameplay, cinematics, and marketing materials.
This person will be working at the cutting-edge of development for the record-breaking crowd-funded project, space-simulation FPS MMO "Star Citizen" and the action-packed cinematic story campaign "Squadron 42" with its star-studded cast including Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, John Rhys-Davies, and Mark Strong (to name just a few).
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We've transitioned to a work-from-home model and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person's circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Be responsible for executing photo realistic heads and hair for all required characters in Star Citizen
- Creating characters, creatures, and armour based on concept art or reference photos
- Collaborate with the Art Director and concept artists to set the visual style and quality bar
- Build clean topology with high consideration for animation
- Give and receive feedback from Concept and other Character Artists and such other duties and responsibilities assigned by Cloud Imperium Games reasonably consistent with employee's skills and experience
- 5+ years shipped game title experience
- You are able to create believable characters that are full of life and personality in high-poly and low-poly models as well as textures
- You have experience in making photo-realistic heads and hair
- You posses an intimate knowledge of human anatomy and form
- The ability to adapt to and innovate new styles and techniques
- Strong organic modelling skills (human faces, clothing, realistic creatures)
- Strong hard-surface modelling skills (armour and props)
- Knowledge of major 3D software packages (Maya, Max, and ZBrush)
- Experience with outsourcing
- Experience managing content and developing pipelines
- Experience painting textures, tuning (or creating) surface shaders for real-time rendered characters
- Experience working with real-time in-game hair
- High degree of initiative
- Self-starter who looks for opportunities to make improvements
- Strong work ethic and leads by example
- Superb relationship building skills (locally & internationally)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be willing to work in Wilmslow, UK and to work closely with different time zones.
- International travel may be required as part of the role
- Experience with X-gen
- Passion for sci-fi games
This position is offered at our Wilmslow Studio by Cloud Imperium Games LLC.
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don't think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply - we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.