London, United Kingdom
Programming and Development
Contract | Full Time
Lead Programmer - Remote Role – Full Time
At Roll7, we create exciting and critically acclaimed video games - including the BAFTA-winning OlliOlli franchise. Innovation, freedom, and a real sense of fun are at the heart of everything we do, from creating award-winning original IPs to the everyday business of running our unique remote workplace set-up.
Being a remote studio - the majority of our employees work from home nine days out of ten - allows us to offer a high degree of freedom and autonomy to our motivated and creative staff. Everyone at Roll7 can work in a way that allows them to balance impressive workplace achievements with their own responsibilities at home.
Fortnightly meetups in our London office, combined with a robust online communication system, mean that we still retain all the positives of a welcoming and friendly office environment - without the downsides of a long and expensive commute. After all, most of us would rather be at home with our families and pets (or our game consoles) than crammed onto an overcrowded commuter train or stuck in traffic.
We love to give every employee a chance to play and contribute to the games we make, we love giving people the freedom to pursue their own path to success, and we hate crunch.
Check out our website for a complete list of staff benefits and more details on our company culture.
We are looking for a remarkable Lead Programmer, with extensive Unity experience, who will be responsible for leading and mentoring a small team of programmers (approx. five) while collaborating with our Creative Director, Producer, Art Lead and QA.
Salary: Competitive DOE
Application Deadline: 01/03/2020
· Code various core systems alongside our Generalist Programmer.
· 60% coding / 40% planning and management split.
· Help us build, lead and manage a programming team from both a technical and personnel-driven perspective.
· Determine the technical needs for the team to work on a project assigned or third-party middleware.
· Help in setting up best practices for coding and conduct regular code reviews.
· Set up a process to review the game at regular intervals during development cycle, and identify areas of improvement.
· Encourage team to create a strong technical document on different development platforms/consoles.
· Set up processes while working in collaboration with other teams (internal or external) to efficiently meet the technical needs of the assigned project.
· Plan and evaluate the work performed by team and analyse the impact on the project.
· Identify risks involved with the development of games and provide solutions to resolve complex problems.
Good to know
At Roll7, our team is at the heart of everything we do, and it matters to us that everyone feels comfortable and valued at work. We are an equal opportunities employer, and we have a keen commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where all of our employees are accepted and valued as part of the team. We hire based on talent and suitability for the role - regardless of race, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, pregnancy, marital status or veteran status.
Roll7 is a remote studio, and this role requires the applicant to undertake the vast majority of their work at home (nine out of ten days). Appropriate equipment, dev kits and software licenses will be supplied as required. One day a fortnight we work from central London as a team, therefore applicants MUST be based in the UK.
Keep Calm and waka waka...