Code – Edinburgh, Edinburgh, City of
The Gameplay Networking Programmer is responsible for implementing networking solutions for gameplay problems and network heavy gameplay systems within the game based on guidance and design provided by more senior programmers. The Gameplay Networking Programmer position will report to the Lead Gameplay Networking Programmer.
The position is also expected to be able to deal with other disciplines to resolve problems and elicit requirements. A Gameplay Networking Programmer should have an understanding of best-practice and standard techniques in game networking and will seek to learn more about innovations within the industry.
- Deliver high quality networking of gameplay systems and network heavy gameplay systems using appropriate levels of abstraction.
- Support other teams (both code and non-code) in the use of networking within the game.
- Identify and debug networking problems, with some help, for complex problems.
- Prioritise, plan and manage the time of assigned tasks with oversight.
- Communicate clearly with other team members with minimal external help.
- Be vigilant for and report new problems, delays and risks to the appropriate Lead/Director.
- Seek support from higher level management when required.
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills.
- Expert in networking concepts and able to use networking primitives with minimal support.
- Good algorithm and data structure skills (including time & space complexity and real-world vs theoretical performance of basic data structures).
- Awareness of multithreading concepts and able to use multi-threading primitives with guidance.
- Capable of reading and understanding game code.
- Self-motivated and driven to creatively solve problems.
- Professional videogame programming experience in game networking.
- Bachelor’s degree with a Computer Science/Software Engineering focus or equivalent experience.