LEAD MULTIPLAYER DESIGNER, Brighton, UK
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.” We are comprised of a diverse group of people, from industry veterans with experience working on big franchises, to talented former indie entrepreneurs and recent graduates. Hangar 13 is based in four vibrant locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based within our brand new Brighton location, who will partner with the other Hangar 13 sites in California and the Czech Republic to develop all of our future games as one global team. Led by General Manager Nick Baynes, Hangar 13’s Brighton location provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console and PC games using bleeding-edge proprietary engine technology.
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for a Lead Multiplayer Designer to work closely with the project Design Director, Narrative Director and Game Director to define the high-level vision – including context and objectives – for building multiplayer seamlessly throughout our new game. Our ideal candidate will be someone who can manage and mentor their team of designers to deliver high quality, engaging, and cooperative gameplay experiences.
What You Will Do:
- Own the vision for how multiplayer drives game development and is integrated as a core feature for our upcoming unannounced title
- Define multiplayer design and review processes, templates, and documentation requirements
- Identify multiplayer design risks and propose mitigation strategies
- Evaluate interim builds and provide constructive, concrete feedback
- Foster a culture of innovation and iteration
- Work closely with Production to define milestone deliverables and schedules
- Continuously improve creative processes and best practices
- Lead or participate in cross-disciplinary implementation teams
- Play the game on an ongoing basis and be a last line of defense for all multiplayer issues
Who We Think Will Be a Great Fit:
A designer who loves to collaborate with other leads will thrive at Hangar 13. Work with the other leads to provide compelling multiplayer additions to combat mechanics, systems, and content that allow for player agency and expression. You want your voice to be heard? It’s your job to ensure that all multiplayer features are the glue that weaves all the other elements of design together.
- 7+ years of experience in internal game development, with emphasis on cooperative features, competitive features, and level design.
- At least 2 shipped AAA titles
- Innovative thinker with creative problem solving skills.
- Deep understanding of core multiplayer mechanics, including how different networked systems affect the design (host/peer vs client/server).
- Strong leadership, mentorship and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Detailed knowledge of interactive entertainment industry allowing for innovative concepts and promotion of new ideas.
- Strong understanding of development processes, workflows, and tools.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
- Desirable skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experience working in a multi-site team