Demonware creates and provides the online services behind hugely popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty and Skylanders. We design, develop, and host customized services such as matchmaking, microtransactions, player profiles, leaderboards, and data analytics for over 100 games, including some of the world's most popular video game franchises like Call of Duty, Destiny, Guitar Hero, and Skylanders. Demonware has offices in Dublin, Ireland; Vancouver, Canada; and Shanghai, China, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Activision|Blizzard, Inc.
Want to be responsible for the online gaming experience for tens of millions of players? How about developing the algorithms that match players together from around the world? Now is your chance!
We are a technology-driven company with a commitment to openness. This means collaborating to solve problems, the freedom to talk to anyone, and that the best idea wins. As an independently-run subsidiary of Activision|Blizzard, we have the freedom to maintain the feel of a startup culture, but one with the resources and backing of a multinational corporation.
The Director of Engineering, Infrastructure is responsible for the vision and strategy of Demonware's Infrastructure. Demonware is building a Games as a Service platform to enable Activision Publishing studios to launch and operate long lived titles. The Infrastructure department is building the hybrid cloud infrastructure that powers this platform. Success in this role is the delivery of the infrastructure technology components that comprise this cloud whilst maintaining our rock solid reliability and focus on world class customer service. This is also an opportunity to lead Demonware as a company as part of our Leadership team.
• Engineering oversight of Demonware Infrastructure - Take ownership of the technologies that drive Demonware's data centre and public cloud presences. Work with Demonware leaders and our partners in Blizzard and King to set a technology direction aligned with the company goals and needs. Lead the Infrastructure Department in the implementation of that direction and provide project sponsorship.
• Department Leadership - Set and communicate department direction and objectives. Ensure department structure supports achieving the objectives and manage resources to accomplish them. Lead the creation of annual Infrastructure budgets as well as budgets for the department. Set and track metrics to determine department performance.
• People Leadership - Lead the people in your department by ensuring there is strong management, accountability, performance, and support for their career growth and development. Manage compensation and succession. Set high standards for hiring and probation.
• Company Leadership - Contribute to the leadership of Demonware by representing your department within the leadership team. Help identify and solve company-wide and cross-functional issues. Play an active role in setting our overall company direction.
• 5+ years experience managing multiple teams with multiple simultaneous projects and maintaining alignment across them
• Demonstrable experience building and developing a team of managers
• Proven ability to motivate highly technical team
• Technical experience working with the core technologies that power Demonware's data centres, including web scale virtualisation and containerisation, data centre networking and build pipelines
• Experience working with public cloud providers in a hybrid environment
What Demonware Offers:
• An excellent salary, with annual performance reviews
• 25 days holidays
• Annual bonus program
• Annual pay review
• Pension matching contributions
• Top-tier healthcare for you and your family
• Life insurance coverage
• Tax Saver Commuter Ticket scheme
• Bike to work Scheme
• Free Activision Games
• Snacks 24/7
• Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
• A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source
Demonware by the numbers:
• 469+ million gamers
• 3.2+ million concurrent online gamers
• 100+ games
• 300,000 + API calls per hour
• Average query response time of
• 70,000 requests per second at peak
• 135,000+ metrics a second