Senior NOC Systems Administrator
Division: Bethesda Softworks | Department: Network Operations | Location: Rockville , MD, US
Senior NOC System Administrator
Bethesda Softworks is looking for a NOC Senior Systems Administrator that will have a high sense of urgency and passion for fighting fires! As the front line supporting the online gaming experience your mission will be to ensure the game is up, fast, and if there is a problem it gets resolved as soon as possible. You will be the center of all communications and key to the success of our products. The NOC will coordinate with several parties to ensure problems are avoided if possible or addressed quickly. This position will not only be focused on outages as there will be several opportunities to assist the engineering teams with projects. These opportunities are valuable in developing our NOC System Administrators and preparing them for their next position within the company. We see success in the NOC as a gateway to other opportunities in the company (network engineer, system engineer, DevOps, database, software development, etc.).
We expect the people we hire for this role will have the aptitude and aspirations to grow beyond their NOC role within 2 to 3 years. The successful candidate for this position will be capable of and motivated to learn on their own. This skill is essential to getting up to speed quickly and continuing to grow within the company. The ability to work well in a team environment and communicate effectively with people of varying technical knowledge is essential. We operate in an extremely fast-paced environment so the ability to prioritize quickly and follow documented processes and procedures will be required. We are supporting multiple online services that need to be available 24/7 so schedule flexibility in this role will be needed to ensure our customers can always have access to a world-class gaming experience. At the end of the day, you will need to be confident in troubleshooting and supporting large Linux environments across the globe.
Several years of hands-on command line Linux experience will be necessary for this role. To be successful, you will also require intermediate networking and Linux troubleshooting skills. You should also have experience maintaining server class machines and associated infrastructure. Our goal is for the NOC to solve 80% of the incidents that occur without having to escalate to other supporting teams. To meet this goal, we are looking for individuals that can think on their feet and have a solid foundation of core technology to isolate and repair issues as they arise. Other responsibilities are as follows:
- Work closely with partners to enhance support plans for products and services
- Develop and maintain support documents
- Build and develop monitoring/alerting solutions in complex environments
- Serves as the point of escalation for tier 1 support teams
- intermediate troubleshooting of systems, network, and applications
- Provide direct support of game and other online environments
- Participates in 24x7 support and maintenance activities.
- Minimum 2+ years Linux system administration experience (command-line).
- Minimum 2 years of NOC or help-desk experience
- Minimum 1 year experience working with AWS
- Experience working with container technologies such as Docker and container orchestration tools like ECS, Kubernetes, Meso, OpenShift, or Docker Swarm
- Experience with automation in Python, Bash
- Strong troubleshooting skills in complex environments
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Ability to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
Desired Skills (Optional):
- Experience with a logging solution such as Splunk, Sumologic, or Elasticsearch (experience with dashboarding also a plus)
- Experience with automation tools such as Salt or Chef
- Experience using ITIL best practice concepts
- Collaborative and approachable personality
- Experience with MMOs or online gaming
How to Apply