At Space Ape, we are focused on building world-class, franchisable brands and IP. Our games are fun, fresh and brimming with personality.
As a Lead Artist/Art Director you will be at the forefront of one of our new titles. You will drive both the artistic vision and the internal team to produce high-quality assets through effective communication, accurate detailed planning, and active mentorship.
You will set the example for individual contributors by creating highly compelling artwork that meets the visual and technical requirements of the game whilst serving as the benchmark for artistic excellence and work ethic.
The ideal candidate should possess a mobile first attitude with strong art direction and communication skills. They should also have experience in creating art for casual, cartoon, stylized and mid-core mobile games.
Why Space Ape is right for you
At Space Ape we pride ourselves on our passion and the trust we place in our people. We look for driven, productive, team players who are relentless in their pursuit of our mission. There’s no bureaucracy here, we just get things done. The next big game can come from any one of us and YOU can be a key part of our journey.
- Be a part of one of several small empowered teams who inspire and challenge one another in the pursuit of our mission
- Autonomy to make your own impact with the support to help it happen
- Designated ‘Ape Space’ creative time where you are free to work on game concepts and ideas away from your day to day
- The freedom to further your skill set the way YOU want with a generous training budget
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- An award winning studio that in 2017 was crowned one of the best companies to work for in the UK by Gamesindustry
- Help run and create games which bring joy to millions of players all over the world
- Work closely with the product owner, designers, and engineers to establish the production pipeline and best practices for the game.
- Create and maintain the brand/art style guides and technical documentation.
- Mentor artists along their career paths, setting challenges to encourage growth.
- Take ownership of the milestone planning, day-to-day feedback communications, and final quality of deliverables from various external partners (outsourcing)
- Inspire and motivate the art team to achieve their best, driving artistic quality by example and successful teamwork, giving feedback and direction where needed.
- Understand and work within project requirements and constraints.
- Keep up to date with game artwork trends and influences.
- Produce creative solutions to brand development through the creation of conceptual art for characters, environments and gameplay artwork.
- At least 5 years experience creating artwork for games.
- At least 1 shipped title as an Art Lead.
- Excellent communication skills as a leader, collaborator, and mentor.
- Technical expertise and familiarity with game-engines & their performance requirements.
- Excellent 3D modeling, texturing and asset creation.
- Extensive knowledge of Maya and Photoshop.
- An avid interest in all types of art & graphic design.
- A professional, pro-active & collaborative work attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Enjoy the feedback process as the best way to create fantastic visuals.
- Passion for games & mobile gaming.
- A "raise the bar" attitude.
About Space Ape
Space Ape’s mission is to make the highest quality and most successful mobile games in the world. Founded in 2012 we’ve since launched four games: Samurai Siege, Rival Kingdoms, Transformers: Earth Wars and Fastlane: Road to Revenge. To date our games have been installed by over 60 million people across over 150 countries.
Our studio is currently 110 strong and built around the belief that small empowered teams make the best games. This philosophy enables us to innovate, move faster and have the creative ownership required to chase the next genre defining hit.
In 2017 Space Ape entered into a long-term strategic partnership with Supercell. We are still independent and masters of our own destiny, but now we’ve got Supercell’s support and belief behind us in order to make and distribute massive hit games.
See more about the team at our Art Team Blog