Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a talented Lead Level Designer to join us on an exciting AAA console title. Aimed squarely at individuals looking for a challenge, this is a fantastic opportunity for those who want to leave their mark on the game while helping to structure a growing department of exceptionally talented designers.
Within this role you will:
- Collaborate with cross-discipline teams to create exciting, innovative and engaging levels.
- Help develop and evolve the tools, processes, and pipelines that the level design team will use.
- Champion the game's vision through all stages of development.
- Collaborate with production to plan and deliver the level design workload for the project
- Use player-feedback and design direction to hone the gameplay experience.
- Mentor and develop less experienced members of the level design team.
- Embody the passion of the design department.
We need you to have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good motivational skills and the ability to inspire greatness from your team.
- Extensive knowledge of level design theory.
- A relentless passion for all aspects of gaming.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.