Home to the iconic massive multiplayer online role-playing game RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, we're a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do.
We've welcomed over 250 million players to RuneScape's world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve.
From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join together in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest.
Together with our players, we're united as one Jagex tribe. Together we're building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere.
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
Jagex Game Studio is seeking a highly proficient Senior Combat Designer to be empowered and trusted to make design and implementation decisions in order to deliver exciting, compelling and satisfying multiplayer combat gameplay. You will:
- Oversee the design of Combat Gameplay Systems for a new multiplayer Action RPG game including combat mechanics, weapon design, ability and gear design as well as balance and tuning.
- Work collaboratively with Art, Audio and Code disciplines to deliver a crisp and satisfying combat feel.
- Advise and support AI and Content teams to create varied and compelling combat scenarios.
- Author and maintain thorough documentation for all systems.
- Coordinate regular Combat system playtests. Organize, prioritize and integrate feedback as needed.
- Iterate systems as required based on project needs as well as suggestions from audience and team playtesting.
- Report to relevant Lead Designer.
WHAT WE NEED
- Excitement and passion for online games and game design, an avid player of many games and genres with ability to understand distinction between personal preferences and audience preferences.
- Strong understanding and affinity for Action RPG genre games.
- Passionate about setting a vision for, being a champion of, and delivering on an exciting, robust and innovative Action RPG combat system.
- Capable of productively working within a team, leading design discussions and effectively responding to and providing guidance, feedback. Accepts criticism well and seeks to integrate team members opinions into designs.
- Possesses a keen analytical mindset and fact-based and scientific approach to problem solving, is creative, outgoing and personable.
- Can authoritatively and confidently convey design intentions, player experience and development requirements with cross-disciplinary groups in a collaborative and non-confrontational manner.
- Desire to mentor and coach Junior team members.
CANDIDATES MUST HAVE
- Worked on 2 shipped titles as a game designer with a focus on Action RPG combat design.
- Prior experience iterating or prototyping gameplay concepts in Unreal or Unity.
- Experience designing for both casual and competitive audiences.
- Experience working on systemically driven games.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively work and collaborate in cross-disciplinary teams.
WHAT WE OFFER
If you join us you can expect a competitive salary and great benefits like fully paid for gym membership, bonus entitlement, private health care, flexible working, cycle repair and fresh fruit delivered to your team every day. We also have GREAT coffee machines, an onsite canteen and pub and an in-studio cinema! Expect regular team events as well as EPIC company-wide parties to celebrate our successes.
Does this sound like you? We'd love to hear from you! Get in touch.
Feel like you fit this role, but don't meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.