Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
The role @ Sumo
Are you an experienced Graphics Programmer looking to make a move to a well established and recognised brand within the industry? Look no further! Sumo Digital are currently looking for an experienced Senior Programmer with a proven track record in developing and improving graphics technology for AAA games projects, with good experience in UE4.
Within this role you will:
- Design and implement new graphical features and effects within UE4 based projects
- Collaborate with other internal departments (Art, Design, Audio, QA, etc...)
- Debug complex rendering problems
- Profile and optimise game engine rendering performance
- Improve and extend existing rendering features as needed
- Provide support to the art content and technical art teams
- Profile and optimise of GPU performance and usage
We need you to have:
- An education of Bachelor's degree level within a relevant field or equivalent training and professional experience
- A strong background within the games industry, ideally with experience at senior level
- Predominantly worked in a graphics role during your career or show a strong skill set in this area
- Ideally around 2 years of experience working on UE4 based projects or show a solid knowledge and skill level around UE4
- Extremely strong C++ and shader programming skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experience developing on consoles, including detailed knowledge of current generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One)
- Shown an in depth knowledge of current generation GPUs and rendering technologies (DX12, Gnm)
- A good understanding of memory management, multi-threading and optimisation
- Strong maths skills, 3D maths in particular
- The ability to learn, test, debug and extend existing engine code
- Worked in a graphics programming role for at least one shipped title using UE4
You would have an advantage if also you have:
- Experience with a range of middleware
- Knowledge of 2D/3D art packages
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.