Home to the iconic massive multiplayer online role-playing game RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, we're a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do. We've welcomed over 250 million players to RuneScape's world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve.
From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join together in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest. Together with our players, we're united as one Jagex tribe. Together we're building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere.
As an Art Director you are accountable for defining and communicating a coherent art vision for your project, overseeing a smooth pipeline during development and ensuring the highest quality is achieved throughout production.
You will be expected to work closely with product, production, design and engineering to steer your vision while providing direct leadership and guidance to your art team. The team look to you as an inspirational leader who can motivate and guide as well as being flexible, calm and approachable.
There is also an expectation to contribute toward studio wide topics, decisions and directives that will move the department and business forward to define what is possible and push to redefine industry standards.
Directly Reporting to: Executive Producer (Game)
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Establish an artistic vision that supports the game design, product direction and marketing strategy
- Create guides and documentation to support the communication of your vision to peers, team and exec level
- With your team define best practices and pipelines through all areas of game art content creation including outsourcing to deliver consistent AAA standard
- Work with production to effectively plan art team delivery and highlight strategic risks
- Collaborate with HR partners and recruitment team to establish team hiring strategy
- Level your team up through mentoring, training and personal development plans
- Inspire, motivate, and push your team to deliver beyond their expectation
- Contribute toward studio initiatives and be an ambassador of the team and studio personifying the company values.
WHAT WE NEED
- Extensive game development experience creating and delivering new IP through to live support on PC and Console to AAA standard
- Able to communicate and propagate an artistic vision to teams, stakeholders and externally as required
- Strategy to grow, develop and manage multidisciplinary art teams on character focussed AAA products
- Comfortable documenting and presenting current industry best practices to art teams, critiquing problematic assets and workflows
- Practical mentoring capability in two of the following areas; environment art, character art, concept art, technical art, UI, VFX or animation
- Working knowledge of modern AAA game development workflows across all major art disciplines
- Able to show a solid understanding of art fundamentals; anatomy, composition, lighting/ value, form/ function and perspective
- Strong leadership skills with an inspirational, lead by example approach that unlocks those around them to deliver something great
- Ability to bring a competitive edge to the studio through Art Direction
WHAT WE OFFER
If you join us you can expect a competitive salary and great benefits like fully paid for gym membership, bonus entitlement, private health care, flexible working, cycle repair and fresh fruit delivered to your team every day. We also have GREAT coffee machines, an onsite canteen and pub and an in-studio cinema! Expect regular team events as well as EPIC company-wide parties to celebrate our successes.
Does this sound like you? We'd love to hear from you! Get in touch.
Feel like you fit this role, but don't meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity.
Please note that all applications for this role must provide a portfolio or evidence of work that adheres to the Jagex submission guidelines as proof of capability.