Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a talented Senior Game Designer to join Sumo Digital. This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Designer specialising in holistic game design, feature ownership and implementation through product development
Within this role you will:
- Be the vision holder for multiple features which span the game
- Strive for quality and innovation while adhering to the core vision of the game
- End to end feature ownership; from inception through to game release
- Form design goals, frameworks and success metrics for each feature you produce
- Create high level presentation materials for pitching concepts to product stakeholders
- Produce low level specifications for feature costing and production schematics
- Ability to solve complex problems using game design theory and the psychology of play
- Designing and modelling complex game systems based on high-level concepts
- Review and adjust designs based on user testing and telemetry data
- Create features which supports business and product goals which also conform to contemporary design methodologies
- Design content that conforms to per discipline style guides and can be contextualised to the game fiction in multiple ways
- Implement the design using industry-standard and in-house tools
- Mentor junior design team members, review and feedback on their work
- Communicate design philosophies, the game vision and feature goals across the wider team
We need you to have:
- Proven track record of designing AAA games from product inception through to release
- Led by player centric design
- Ability to evangelise the game's design to multi-discipline teams and across the organisation
- Rich knowledge of game theory and the science behind the design
- Understanding of a product's user base and player behaviours
- Significant experience designing and balancing complex systems for AAA games
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organisational and workload management skills are essential for success
- Empathise with different disciplines to form an aligned and sympathetic concept
- Ability to lead multiple feature teams of a cross-disciplinary makeup
- Create pipelines and processes which controls and aligns feature development
- Deep understanding of game design best practices
You will also need to demonstrate that you can:
- Shipped a AAA title using UE3/4
- Knowledge of UE4 Blueprint Scripting
- Understanding of Platform Holder functionality and usage within product
- Ability to create off platform features which drive product intrigue and longevity
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.