Junior Lighting Artist
Obsidian Entertainment is seeking a skilled, self-motivated Junior Lighting Artist to create visually compelling and imaginative artwork for our next world-class RPG.
Qualified candidates will possess a solid understanding of current AAA-quality art, cinematography, and lighting design techniques, and art pipelines as well as knowing how to work within current console hardware limitations.
If you live to create captivating lighting aesthetics and possess a decidedly developed eye for color and composition, let's talk!
- Create lighting environments for exteriors, interiors, and cutscenes
- Build prefab static and dynamic lights to be placed within the game environment
- Help work on the sky-system including the setup of textures and skydomes to work with a dynamic time-of-day system
- Tune materials to fit within PBR guidelines
- Setup and adjust post-process systems including color grading, exposure, tone-mapping, and bloom
- Work with camera-based optics including lens flares and depth of field
- Coordinate with tools and technology teams to develop solutions for creating the best characters possible
- Collaborate closely with the project Art Director to set and hit visual targets of the project
- Solid grasp of color theory and lighting techniques for quality presentation and the best player experience
- Approximately 0-3 years in the game industry
- Understanding of the current lighting tools and techniques used in Unreal Engine 4
- Ability to be resourceful and come up with creative solutions get the best result on a multiple target platforms
- Ability to be receptive to art direction and critiques from project art leads
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively coordinate with producers, programmers, designers, as well as artists
- Knowledge of photogrammetry techniques
- Knowledge of shader technology within Unreal including the setup of materials and material functions
- Understanding of advanced shaders such as skin and hair
- Knowledge and understanding of VFX systems within Unreal
- A solid understanding of cinematography
- A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of lighting examples
- Samples from previous industry work
- Real-time shader examples
- Advanced material and rendering samples
All resumes must be accompanied with a website portfolio.
Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line.
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept emailed applications.