Lead UX Designer
Design Austin, Texas
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? How about more than one? Certain Affinity is an exclusive Austin studio comprised of a tightly-knit group of experienced industry veterans committed to a solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing multiple AAA FPS products, but also work on a few projects of our own, and have very interesting new projects in the works.
As Lead UX Designer you will contribute to the vision for the offline and online user experience for our games as well as how that experience extends to each game’s online community. You will work directly with the UX/UI Department Lead, Creative Director, and Design Lead for each project to ensure that all aspects of the game’s interface are easily understood and accessible by the player. You will be embedded with a game team to clearly present interface and user experience ideas to various groups to help build consensus for a unified UI direction, then help execute on that vision.
Only applications with cover letter, resume, and portfolio will be considered.
- Manage and act as interface design lead on specific projects, including taking ownership of specific project deadlines and deliverables and driving usability testing.
- Create conceptual wireframes, user flow diagrams, and low-fidelity prototypes for design review and discussion and testing purposes.
- Collaborate with artists to create high-fidelity mockups to solidify design direction and planning.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers to brainstorm and drive innovation in online functionality and features.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers on the planning of multiplayer and online game features that fit together into a seamless and accessible user experience.
- Design training and on-boarding that helps users quickly become proficient in core game mechanics.
- Design features that encourage a friendly, approachable, and inclusive online community.
- Create working prototypes for usability and proof-of-concept testing.
- Observe and interpret the results of usability testing and live game metrics, sharing conclusions with the team that help increase accessibility and informs design decision making game-wide.
- Produce finished design specs for the final game user interface, including in-game UI (e.g., HUD).
- Mentor other designers in UX design and testing techniques, methodology, and best practices.
- Experience as an interface or user experience designer for web or game applications.
- Made contributions to the UX of at least two shipped games.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and a solid understanding of user-centered design principles to design a complete interface for all game features that are ultimately functional, usable, appealing, and accessible.
- Awareness of trends in hardware and operating systems, interface design, interactive design, and competitive software to help identify opportunities for innovation.
- Ability to observe, understand and translate research into actionable insights for interface improvements.
- Ability to identify usability testing requirements and drive methods to achieve successful testing.
- Must have solid skills with Axure RP or similar program.
- Console gameplay or development experience.
- Game industry experience designing UI for games, preferably on the console.
- iOS, Android, and mobile game development experience.
- Game industry experience designing gameplay systems of any sort.
- Formal IA training.
- Graphic design skills.
- Experience collaborating or running User Research
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas where we reside and live the dream!