Contract Systems Designer
Design Austin, Texas
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? How about more than one? Certain Affinity is an exclusive Austin studio comprised of a tightly-knit group of experienced industry veterans committed to a solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing multiple AAA FPS products, but also work on a few projects of our own, and have very interesting new projects in the works.
Certain Affinity is seeking a Systems Designer with experience designing and implementing gameplay systems for both single and multiplayer games. This is a rare opportunity to join a world-class independent developer with one of the strongest multiplayer design teams in the industry, then help us reach new heights by increasing our strength in designing fun and accessible gameplay systems for players to enjoy for years to come.
- Work closely with the Lead Designer and the Team Lead to design, prototype, and polish core game systems, including player mechanics, game mechanics, game modes, inventory systems, etc.
- Must be able to iterate rapidly on game elements - such as combat mechanics, player and NPC abilities - to create a fun and balanced experience for all types of players
- Understand and build upon existing design documentation, ensuring it is well-maintained, readable, and representative of the project’s evolution
- Analyze data and player feedback to continually optimize and improve the existing game experience
- 3+ years of game design experience, including 1+ with systems design experience and at least one full development cycle as a systems designer.
- Proven ability to enhance and polish innovative gameplay systems
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs
- Exposure to various scripting languages (Java, Lua, Python, Perl, Blueprint, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience documenting technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- Experience designing player character classes or enemy and/or NPC AI.
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, encounter scripting, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple console, PC, and/or mobile platforms
- Data analytics experience
- Strong programming background
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience
This is a non-exempt position that will be paid by a 3rd party vendor.
This role is based in the Austin, TX.
The contractor will be responsible for housing costs and relocation if needed