Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. The Nottingham studio became part of the Sumo Digital family in March of 2016.
Based in the Castle Marina area of the city and with Nottingham castle dominating the skyline, the new studio is a state-of-the-art space dedicated to supporting the highest calibre of game developments most creative people. The environment has been designed to be open, light and bright and to provide a creative and flexible space against which a new team can develop the latest ideas for today's gaming platforms.
Our Nottingham studio is a real community of game loving, talented people who have a broad set of skills across a diverse range of games types including first-person shooter and racing games. We have been working hard on our first two projects - Team Sonic Racing for Sega and Project Nova for CCP and are about to embark on new projects.
We are looking for talented artists, designers, programmers, producers and support roles to join us making some fun games. In Nottingham we work on small and mid-size teams where everyone can contribute and make a big difference to the games we make. Delivering great games and following the Sumo Pathway, you'll be able to develop your career within a supportive and creative environment.
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
Roles @ Sumo
We are looking for an experienced senior game designer to join the Sumo Nottingham design team to help us with exciting new projects.
Within this role you will:
- Ensure design and implementation support the core design goals for the project.
- Work with the team to design and clearly communicate game features.
- Own features during implementation to ensure they deliver the intended player experience.
- Mentor and manage designers delivering game features.
- Communicate game design to external clients and ensure feedback is incorporated as appropriate.
- Identify and implement improvements to the design process
- Participate in the recruitment process to help build a great design team.
We need you to have:
- Five or more years' experience working as a designer, including at least one shipped AAA title.
- Extensive experience designing game systems and content.
- Experience managing one or more designers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
It would also be great if you had:
- Experience tuning game systems in response to feedback
- Experience developing titles in Unreal Engine 4.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes' walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.