Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a talented Game Designer to join Sumo Digital. This is an exciting opportunity for a Designer specialising in holistic game design, feature ownership and implementation through product development.
Within this role you will:
- Be the vision holder for one or more features which span the game
- Strive for quality and innovation while adhering to the core vision of the game
- End to end feature ownership; from inception through to game release
- Form goals and success metrics for each feature you own and implement
- Create high level presentation materials for pitching concepts to product stakeholders
- Produce low level specifications for feature costing and production schematics
- Ability to solve problems using game design knowledge and experience
- Design and model complex game systems based on high-level concepts
- Implement the feature design using industry-standard and in-house tools
- Review and adjust designs based on user testing and telemetry data
- Mentor junior design team members and communicate the feature across the wider team
We need you to have:
- Proven track record of designing AAA games from product inception through to release
- Ability to evangelise features you own to multi-discipline teams and across the organisation
- Understanding of a product's user base and player behaviours
- Experience in designing and balancing complex systems for AAA games
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organisational and workload management skills are essential for success
- Empathise with different disciplines to form aligned and sympathetic concept
You will also need to demonstrate that you can:
- Shipped a AAA title using UE3/4
- Knowledge of UE4 Blueprint Scripting
- Led by player centric design
- A background in game theory and the science behind the design
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.