Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Digital's Sheffield studio currently have a very exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and experienced XAML programmer who is looking to make the jump into game development.
You will assist with the development of a console and Windows based game that is part of a widely recognised and well established AAA franchise
Within this role you will:
- Work with the code team and production to achieve the highest possible quality product
- Work with Art & Design to implement features into the product
- Respond to customer feedback and action changes as required
- Assist with planning and direction of the work of the code team
To be successful you will have:
- Commercial XAML experience, minimum of 3 years
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 2 years' experience
- Strong View Model (MVVM) design and implementation experience
- Experience working with WPF 3.5
- Technical Web Development / Scripting experience
It would be advantageous if you have:
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with Modern C++ features
- STL advocate
- Experience working with Blend
- Experience working with Perforce
- Experience working to a coding standard and engaging positively in and responding to code/peer reviews (Swarm or similar).
- Experience mentoring less experienced programmers
- Experience in PC and/or console programming
- Experience working on at least one large scale project
You will demonstrate you have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively within a large multidisciplinary group project environment
- Have a critical attention to detail, ensuring completed work matches specified Art/Design compositions and mock-ups.
- Think critically, and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- Quickly master tools and development processes
- Take direction and criticism
- Plan work and meet deadlines designated for team projects
- Professionalism and the ability to function well within a team
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.