Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
As a growing development studio we are always looking to add talented developers to our AAA projects across Xbox, PS4, Switch and PC. If you are an experienced programmer, we would love to hear from you!
Within this role you will:
- Work with the code team and production to achieve the highest possible quality product
- Assist with planning and direction of the work of the code team
- Mentor more junior members of the code team
We need you to have:
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 5 years' experience
- 4 years' experience working in the game industry required
- Experience in PC and/or console programming
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent debugging and optimisation skills
- Practical experience with 3D math
- Worked on at least 2 shipped games
- Experience with asset pipelines dealing with large scale data sets
- Experience working on at least one large scale game project
You will also need to:
- Communicate effectively within a large multidisciplinary group project environment
- Think critically, and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- Find and fix complex bugs in any area of the project
- Be self motivated with high personal standards as demonstrated in quality and pride of work
- Create and own complex systems from start to finish
- Author technical designs and best practices
- Quickly master tools and development processes
- Take direction and criticism
- Plan work and meet deadlines designated for team projects
- Demonstrate professionalism with the ability to function well within a team
- Mentor less experienced programmers
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.