Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
We are on the hunt for an experienced Senior Programmer who will have opportunity make a real impact on one of the most exciting, unnannounced AAA console projects currently in development in the UK at Sumo's Sheffield HQ.
If you have a proven track record in developing and improving UE4 engine technology for AAA games and want to be part of an incredible studio making incredible games - then we want to hear from you. This is an opportunity not to me missed.
Want to know more? Please call Rebecca Askham on +44 (0)7810 354116 or email email@example.com
Anticipated start date: Q3 2018 (with some flexibility)
Within this role you will:
- Design and implement engine features in C++ within UE4 based projects
- Collaborate with other internal departments (Art, Design, Audio, QA, etc...)
- Debug complex engine problems
- Profile and optimise game engine performance
- Improve and extend existing engine features as needed
- To provide support to gameplay and UI programmers
We need you to have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training and professional experience
- Extensive experience working in an engine programming role on UE4 based projects in the game industry
- Extremely strong C++ programming skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well as part of a team
- A good understanding of memory management, multi-threading and optimisation
- Strong maths skills
- Ability to learn, test, debug and extend existing engine code
- Experience developing on consoles, including detailed knowledge of current generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One)
We'd also ideally like you to have (although its not a deal breaker):
- Current or older graphics rendering technology experience (DirectX 9-12, OpenGL, Vulkan, etc...)
- Experience with the UE4 rendering pipeline
- Experience with a range of middleware
- Tools development experience in C# or scripting languages
- Client/server architecture experience
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.