Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It's an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
Sumo Newcastle joined the family in January 2018. This highly experienced team is also looking to grow and add to their high-calibre staff across all disciplines.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don't miss out. Join us.
The role @ Sumo
We are always looking for enthusiastic and experienced programmers to join the Sumo Newcastle team to assist with development of AAA Xbox, PS4, Switch and PC based projects.
As a programmer at Sumo, you will:
- Work with project managers and other leads to define and complete programming tasks
- Write high quality source code
- Work with designers to implement gameplay and user interface elements to the designers' specifications
- Liaise with Quality Assurance to fix bugs
- Ensure the game is compliant with manufacturer's guidelines for the relevant platforms
- Maintain stability of development environment for the entire development team
You will need to have:
- Worked on at least one released game and/or experience with at least one current generation engine (UE4, CryEngine, Source, Unity etc.)
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Strong 3D programming and mathematics skills
- Thorough understanding of the game production process
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of source control systems
It would also be great if you have:
- Graphics systems (3D graphics, animation, camera control, lighting, materials and shaders)
- Knowledge of the requirements placed on gameplay code by a multiplayer networked game
- Experience with Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, console programming
- Experience of working to manufacturers' guidelines for the relevant platforms
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexi-time and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in the North-East in a beautiful renovated blue plaque building next to the River Tyne and just a ten minute walk to Newcastle city centre. Newcastle has everything to offer that any major European city has; culture, heritage, lively bars and fantastic retail. It is an exciting cosmopolitan city with new restaurants, bars and attractions constantly appearing whilst also boasting plenty of beautiful outdoor space including several beaches under an hour drive away. Newcastle was even voted the number one place that travellers should visit in 2018 by Rough Guide!