Home to the iconic massive multiplayer online role-playing game RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, we're a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do.
We've welcomed over 250 million players to RuneScape's world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve.
From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest.
Together with our players, we're a united Jagex tribe, building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere.
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Technical Animator looking for a varied and challenging role that encourages creative input and technical direction.
The successful applicant will join an experienced team of technical artists; working on our flagship title RuneScape.
RuneScape is an evolving product on PC and soon to be Mobile platforms, with players that have an insatiable thirst for content, meaning there's always a need to evolve and modernise our pipeline and tools to keep up with their demand. Your role would involve collaborating with our artists & animators to develop, maintain and improve those tools and our pipeline.
Working within our talented art team, you will:
- Design and implement complex skeletons, control rigs, secondary animation (fat, jiggle, smears), and skin deformations. Including facial rigging solutions for creatures and humans.
- Implement techniques and process to solve character and animation and deformation challenges.
- Recognise inefficiencies and problems in existing pipelines and identify solutions.
- Design, develop, deploy, and maintain animation tools, workflows, and pipelines to improve animation quality & production efficiency.
- Work with engine and tools teams to contribute to development of new game technology.
- Document tools and processes required to educate artists on new tools or workflows.
- Help mentor and develop more junior members of the team across the studio.
Check out some of our latest artwork on ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/jagex/albums/739317
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Excellent communication skills with an innate ability to liaise across art & tech disciplines.
- Good eye for animation is a must, with a thorough understanding of animation principles, weighting, and skinning.
- Good knowledge of anatomy and a thorough understanding of biomechanics, kinesiology for humanoid and animals and Figure and Facial Anatomy
- Strong background in rigging and skinning complex characters/objects in a realistic or exaggerated manner.
- Expert working knowledge of Motion Builder/Motive or equivalent software.
- In-depth knowledge of Maya, and experience with Python, Qt Frameworks (PySide, PyQt), and familiarity with the Maya API (MotionBuilder API experience a plus)
- Working evidence of previous AAA development cycles, their pipelines & workflows, completed whilst in a technical animation role.
- A strong demo reel that adequately reflects this experience.
EVEN BETTER IF
- In-depth knowledge of a broad range of game technologies such as rendering, game systems and data management
- Experience with cloth, muscles and dynamics.
- Experience solving, cleaning and implementing motion capture data within a game engine.
- Degree in visual effects or technical subject area is highly preferred.
- Traditional 2D art skills
We can only consider applicants who include evidence of their work, along with breakdowns in an online format such as personal website, blog, Github, or online portfolio album