Senior Services Engineer - Gears of War - The Coalition
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Job number 452693
The Coalition, the game studio that develops the Gears of War franchise, is looking for a Senior Services Engineer to join our team working on next-generation Gears experiences. We are seeking talented, experienced developers with a variety of backgrounds who want to redefine the Gears experience through the application of modern cloud service technologies.
The Coalition’s Online Services team builds cloud services that drive many aspects of the game, including in-game economies and commerce, player statistics, user generated content, matchmaking, and game content management. We follow an agile, iterative, and quality driven software development lifecycle. We value development of unit and acceptance tests as part of feature development. We embrace DevOps and build our features to be supportable and easy to troubleshoot. We believe that main should always be shippable and features should get to our customers as frequently as possible, with all of our services being deployed to production regularly.
In addition to the standard Microsoft C#/.Net tech stack, you’d be working with a broad set of other service technologies including:
- NoSQL data management (Azure Table, Azure Cosmos DB, Redis)
- Distributed Actor Model (Orleans)
- Streaming Telemetry (Azure Event Hub)
- Online Gaming Platforms (Xbox Live)
- Search (Azure Search)
- Azure Service Fabric
- Work with project leads to design, implement and support reliable, secure, and scalable backend web services in support of public-facing online applications
- Design, implement and support the Integration Xbox Live Services into client and server applications
- Work closely with design and production teams to realize application functionality
- Make architectural recommendations for performance and stability and security
- Analyze feature designs and devise technical solutions
- Assist with planning, estimation and distribution of work
- Develop deployment process and mechanisms
- Develop and implement stress testing plans
- Helps Production develop schedules and determine milestones.
- Degree in Computing Science, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with object oriented programming languages (C++, C#, Java).
- Experience with modern web technologies: NET, IIS, WCF, RESTful services, streaming media.
- Minimum 5+ years experience building online services for web or game applications.
- Experience supporting a live service with frequent refreshes of content and code.
- Experience architecting scalable server solutions to support high-traffic and high-bandwidth loads.
- Experience with planning for secure online deployments and operations.
- Experience with modern web analytics and data-driven product evolution.
- Experience deploying and supporting applications on cloud platforms (AWS EC2, Windows Azure).
- Experience with multiple web technology stacks and SaaS models an asset.
- Experience developing: sign-in flow, matchmaking, leaderboards, VOIP a plus.
- Experience with Xbox Live (XboxOne/360/PC) networking a plus.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of solid software engineering practices, experience with SCRUM / agile based methodologies a plus.
- Self-starter who works well within a creative team.
- Must be able to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Dynamic problem solver .
- Passion for web and mobile technology.
- Great sense of humour.
The Coalition is a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. Located in Vancouver, Canada, the studio is dedicated to pushing the Gears franchise to new heights with its belief that if you want to go far, go together.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away