Volition is looking for an energetic and passionate new World Builder to help us build the world of our next, unannounced title. You will work with a tight, collaborative team of artists and designers to create environments that are both beautiful and fun to play in. You will be making major contributions to our world using our unique approach to world building with our proprietary world editor.
• Create environments from initial rough layout to completed polished spaces
• Build urban, interior, and natural spaces using our in-house world editor
• Author game ready assets that work well within given technical limitations
• Collaborate closely with level designers to create spaces that adhere to gameplay requirements
• Focus on the “big picture.” Understand when details matter, and when broad strokes are more important
• 3+ years of experience in game development creating environments
• Strong communication skills. Must be able to be a master collaborator, working with nearly every discipline in the studio
• Self-driven and a great team player
• Experience constructing and composing game environments from modular components
• Ability to work with a library of assets to build visually interesting, dynamic gameplay spaces.
• Strong understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to scene composition.
• A keen eye for developing a visual mood as it relates to storytelling.
• Comfortable working within technical limitations such as vertex and object counts, materials (draw calls), streaming conditions, etc.
• Fluent knowledge of at least one major 3d package (3dsmax preferred)
• Experience building environments in a game engine (Unreal4, Unity)
• Proficiency with Photoshop
• Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing, environmental development and/or architectural illustration.
• Familiarity with procedural content authoring tools (Substance Designer, World Machine, Houdini)
• Zbrush experience a plus
• Basic Level Design Knowledge.
Sample Work Required
• Portfolio should demonstrate ability to build fully realized environments. Fully fleshed out spaces are more helpful than examples of individual assets.