Senior Java Developer
Interested in scalability? With over 200 million monthly active users from our popular games franchises including Candy Crush, Farm Heroes and Bubble Witch, being able to handle ridiculously-high volumes of data and traffic is the name of the game. Working within our Shared Technology Department, you'll get to work on business-critical systems that support these users. Whether it's core data engineering, user acquisition technology, vital tools that are needed by our games teams, or reporting and visualisation suites, there's an exciting opportunity for you here to get stuck into within Shared Technology - and one you can get stuck into right away!
We're seeking an enthusiastic Senior Java Developer who will thrive in a relaxed, fun and friendly working environment.
If you care about the quality of what you do; if you believe in simple designs over complexity; if you're an advocate of the benefits of testing, then keep reading!
Your role within our Kingdom
A Senior Java Developer is expected to:
* Design, architect and implement server features required to support business functionality.
* Consider non-functional requirements, such as ensuring high performance, reliability, scalability and the security of our systems.
* Deliver high quality code and supporting documentation through good design, attention to detail and system testing on a timely basis.
* Strive for continuous improvement within the team.
* Be a role model for our talented Java Developers.
* Engage with and help foster the local backend development community with knowledge sharing, hack day contributions, and informal mentoring where appropriate.
* Advocate and practice industry standard and best practices.
* Be able to dive into other projects/technologies when things need fixing.
Skills to create thrills
You have experience of the full software development lifecycle, having seen some projects succeed and learnt from other projects failing. You're an excellent communicator, and content to work with people from different business units and disciplines. You're happy to ask questions to make sure that the team is going in the right direction. You're focused on solving real business problems, and can translate business needs into technical requirements and implementation. You're excited about doing what's best for the team, and adaptable to work on different things as projects and opportunities evolve.
Other skills include:
* Strong experience with Java, databases and caching (at least Java 8), testing frameworks and integration tests
* Good knowledge of Java's concurrency libraries, and of asynchronous/reactive code
* Experience of Gradle and Docker/container environment
* Good debugging skills, being highly familiar with debugging tools
* Knowledge of and experience with performance testing
* Knowledgeable about web protocols, application servers and web servers
* Care for code quality, and robust, easily-maintainable architectural solutions
* Ability to technically mentor less experienced developers
* Comfortable with TDD and pair programming/pair designing
* Experience working with agile processes, e.g. Scrum, Kanban
* An interest in the continual evolution of the Java language and what's going on in the wider technical ecosystems
* Gitflow, git, Jenkins, SonarQube, Artifactory
* Modern web client development frameworks, e.g. React, Angular
A great saga needs all sorts of heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace, great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply can't expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes. And that's it.
We're Seriously Playful
Officially, we're a leading interactive entertainment company for the mobile world. Unofficially, we're a serious business that's not afraid to have fun. Every day at King, we mix intuition with logic, art with science and magic with mathematics to create the games the world loves to play. Together with our parent company Activision Blizzard, our mission is to bring moments of magic to everyday life. If you think this is something you can help us achieve, let's talk.
Want to join our Kingdom? You'll find all you need to apply, plus more information on our culture, values and benefits, including relocation packages at jobs.king.com. All applications should be made in English.