Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 400 staff currently based in our Sheffield, Nottingham and Pune, India studios.
Since our inception in 2003, we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Little Big Planet 3 (PlayStation 4, / PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform ), Hitman (multi-platform), Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One / Windows) and Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio has a number of projects well under way now, including ' Project Nova ' - an online multiplayer shooter set in the Eve Online universe - published by CCP, with many more exciting opportunities ahead.
2018 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We have an exciting Lead Programmer opportunity working on one of the ongoing projects in the Nottingham studio.
- Understand and direct the work of the code team
- Mentor the code team and lead by example
- Work with the team and production to achieve the highest possible quality product
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 5 years' experience
- 4 years' experience working in the game industry required
- 3+ years' experience in console, mobile or PC games programming
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent debugging skills
- Practical experience with 3D math
- Worked on at least 2 shipped games
- Experience with asset pipelines dealing with large scale data sets
- Experience working on at least one large scale game project
Demonstrated Ability To:
- Communicate effectively within a large group/multiple project environment
- Think critically, and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- Show high personal standards as demonstrated in quality and pride of work
- Create complex systems from start to finish
- Quickly master unfamiliar tools and development processes
- Take direction and criticism
- Meet deadlines designated for team projects
- Act professionally and function well within a team environment
- Mentor less experienced programmers
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes' walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.