Who are we?
Flatter Than Earth is an independent game development studio located in San Francisco with some members working remotely beyond California. We are devoted to creating immersive fun fantasy worlds that have gameplay to match. We’re a small team, so everyone here has opportunities to provide feedback and unleash their creativity! Our current project, Once Upon a Puppet, aims to capture the attention and unleash the imagination of gamers of all ages! We work in Unity, and we plan to launch on Steam and Consoles Q3 2019.
We were recently featured in PAX West 2017, and a video of the demo showcased there can be seen at this link:
PAX video >> https://youtu.be/eyNJiY4U1Aw
Who are we looking for?
The primary job responsibilities of the Animator will include the creation of in-game animations that convey charm, humor and personality, as well as creating animation rigs from humanoid and non-humanoid models. Candidates should be comfortable animating both humanoids and creatures of all shapes and sizes. The ideal candidate has at least 3-5 years of experience as a character animator on a published console or PC title.
Candidates should be experienced in all aspects of 3D character animation and able to give and accept feedback and work well with a team of artists, designers and engineers. Should have a strong preference for working in a highly creative, innovative, small development environment; and will be able to hit the ground running.
If candidate is remote then he/she must adhere to our Easter Time Zone and be available for at least 3h per day of online collaboration.
- Design hand-keyed animation with a highly intuitive and developed understanding of body mechanics, force, balance, timing, and believability.
- Design and build animation rigs for characters, creatures, and props for use in animation.
- Work with the team to integrate animations and maintain a consistent animation vision.
- Creating animations that communicate player mechanics, such as movement, combat, emotions and force. Constantly working together with designers to ensure that player input and animations work hand-in-hand.
- Has a deep knowledge of the engine and animation tools and is aware of constraints – brings new solutions to complex problems.
- Collaborate with team and producer in development of project goals as necessary. Monitor progress of animation deliverables.
- Recognize red flags and take corrective actions to solve roadblocks as they occur.
- Participate in daily development meetings, analyze work and course correct when and where necessary.
- Make sure all work is clean and organized with regards to assets within each file as well as file structure and storage.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas for the betterment of the entire game.
- 3+ years in game development with at least 1 shipped title credited as Animator.
- Exceptional skill in animating bipeds and multi-legged figures, in both action and dramatic acting sequences using keyframe animation.
- Must exhibit strong traditional animation principles (timing, spacing, squash and stretch, etc) and be able to demonstrate that knowledge.
- Strong technical skills and experience Rigging Humanoid and creature characters for use in animation. Experience with FK and IK skeletal systems.
- Experience animating for Unity3D.
- Fluency with Maya and Photoshop for character animation.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills.
Nice To Have
- Fond of puppets! and the animation possibilities they allow.
- Experience working with the Unity animatior pipeline a huge plus.
- Experience working on a 2D or 3D platforming titles a huge plus.
- 3D Modeling skills and/or 2D Animation skills are a plus.
- Avid gamer with a passion for creating top-quality games.
- Remote candidates are welcomed.
- Hours: Full-time/Part-time
- Salary: Dependent on location, knowledge, skill and experience level.
- This is a contract position that could be the catalyst for a long lasting partnership.
- We are looking for candidates that can start immediately.
When applying, please include a cover letter and a link to your online portfolio.
All portfolios must contain a detailed shot breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, are responsible for in your reel, screenshots, scanned pictures, web page portfolio, etc. What we will be looking for include:
- Examples of various animations applied to humanoid figures and creatures.
- Examples of various animations cycles applied to game characters.
- Examples of humanoid/creature rigging.