Senior Level Designer
Job ID 2018-2326
Category Producer & Designer
Capcom Vancouver continues to develop new and exciting projects, and we’re growing in the process! With unique projects in development, we’re recruiting smart, passionate and dedicated professionals to work with us on the next generation of video gaming.
The Senior Level Designer will be responsible for the development of the game world. This position requires a developed understanding of open environments. It also requires an advanced understanding of authoring tools. Finally, this position requires the ability to drive execution and quality through a broader team.
Here at Capcom Vancouver, we are looking for individuals with exceptional skills in written, visual and verbal communication. Giving clear direction will be important as you shepherd the implementation of designs across various disciplines. We also believe that the ability to solicit and process feedback is as critical as the ability to generate and sell great game ideas. We need people who encourage creative contributions across the team, developing these ideas into clear designs that build toward the larger vision of the game.
Contract: 12 months
- Develops concepts and treatments for multiple game areas.
- May own/oversee the level layout process for the game.
- Guides the contributions of the game team design staff to produce and maintain the working game design documents.
- Develops prototypes.
- Communicates ideas with product development staff to solicit feedback and ensure support during prototype development.
- Maintains up to date working knowledge of the designs in other successful products in the industry.
- Works with the producer teams to define creative vision.
- Clearly understands the product vision and brand goals and guides design efforts to match.
- Executes design revisions through iterations to align with evolving product vision and quality targets.
- Ensures design efforts of self & others meet scope expectations.
- Maintains strong working relationships with internal creative resources.
- Suggests feature, schedule and resource trade-offs.
- Mentors junior designers.
- May be a member of the game leads group.
- Participates in hiring designers.
- Works in and/or oversees multiple game areas on a project including but not limited to: user interface, main character locomotion and combat, enemy locomotion and AI, mini-games, co-op related gameplay, scripting, level layouts.
- Uses time effectively. Communicates in a clear, positive and professional manner with staff at all levels.
- Lay out environments on paper and within a 3D art package
- Work directly with the Design Director and the Environment Art Team in order to deliver game spaces that showcase game features and visual objectives
- Organize and mentor a team of designers
- Drive the development of the authoring tools
- Be an expert on the latest trends in level design
- Write and maintain the associated game design documentation
- 5+ years of game industry experience in a Level Designer capacity where you have shipped at least 2 to 3 titles
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Ability to own multiple priorities and contribute to priority setting within a feature
- Takes active interest in enhancing current skills and learning new ones.
- Noteworthy experience in designing and laying out levels in a 3D art package
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent team work skills
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas and a proven track record of working hand in hand with an environment team
- Excellent knowledge of the video game industry
- Be a driven individual who has a proven track record of delivering projects on time
- May innovate in areas of craft and process
- Demonstrates dedication, adaptability & accountability in own work
- Collaborates effectively with others in same discipline across feature groups and cross-discipline
- Work closely with leads group across all disciplines
- Lead multiple features/1 game area and define deliverables
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Get creative. Take risks. Push the boundaries of gaming. Be a member of an awesome team. We’re looking for the best game-makers to help pioneer the future of our industry. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you.