An opportunity has arisen for an IT Apprentice to be responsible for general first line support tasks (call logging, troubleshooting / diagnosis, and resolution or escalation); assembling and maintaining PC's; creating and maintaining documentation for both the systems support team and end users.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- First line support (logging calls, troubleshooting / diagnosis, and resolution or escalation).
- PC assembly and imaging.
- PC maintenance (adding/removing apps, correcting faults, updating drivers/firmware, etc).
- Setup, update and fault diagnosis of console platforms (e.g. Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii-U, PS Vita, 3DS).
- Transferring licenses between machines as projects change and people move between tasks, ensuring that license documents are kept up to date.
- General network support and basic troubleshooting (e.g. patching, replacing switches, etc).
- Creation and maintenance of domain and server login accounts, email accounts, mail distribution lists, and any other related aspects as required.
- Creating and maintaining all relevant documentation for systems and for consumers of IT support services, for example, to include but not limited to IP address register, equipment register, setup / standard docs, FAQ's, how-to's.
- Auditing of systems for suitability for task, license monitoring, any other related aspects as required.
- Liaising with other team members to ensure that potential issues are raised and dealt with in a timely manner.
- Any ad-hoc IT duties that may be required to provide an effective and efficient service.
Skills / Qualifications:
- Effective communication skills (Both verbal & written)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work in a challenging, fast-paced environment, where concurrent tasks are the norm.
- Ability to assess issues and appropriately prioritise tasks.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and solo assignments.
- Ability to appropriately assess a situation and identify when to escalate a problem.
- Working knowledge of Windows 7/8/10 (End user and troubleshooting).
- Ability to perform basic practical tasks (e.g. use of basic tools such as screwdrivers to de-assemble a PC).
- Understanding of basic LAN/WAN technologies (e.g. Ethernet, IP, ISO 7 layer model, etc).
- A desire to learn and develop both technical and professional skills.
Knowledge and experience of any the following would be beneficial:
- Remote administration tools for Windows / Linux / AD / VMware.
- Subversion server and clients (command line and Tortoise).
- Direct Attached Storage, Network Attached Storage, and Storage Area Networks.
- Server technologies: Server virtualisation / RIS / WSUS / LDAP.
- Scripting (the following languages are in use: Perl / LIX / Python / PowerShell.
- Network monitoring tools: Nagios / Syslog / SNMP.
- Telephone Comms: ISDN / VOIP / Avaya IP Office / Skype for Business.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10.
- Microsoft System Center Suite, including Operations Manager and Configuration Manager.
- ITIL awareness.
- Windows Server operating systems (2003 / 2008 / 2012 (R2) / 2016).
- Minimum 5 GCSE's Grade C+ (including Maths)
- Computing related college qualification (if appropriate)
- A-Levels (Computing, Maths, Business Studies - if appropriate)
Training to be provided:
The Estio Training programme gives young people the opportunity to get hands on experience in the IT industry whilst still employed in a real paid job with no cost or debt.
Learners will receive ten weeks of intensive training. Whilst in the workplace, apprentices will also receive continual assessment, and help and guidance from a dedicated trainer who will be there to ensure that they get the most from their work experience.
This apprenticeship will give you a Level 3 Infrastructure Technician Standard with training in areas such as:
- Functional skills, Maths L2 and English L2
- PC Fundamentals & Customer Service Skills
- Business Processes & Network Fundamentals
- Cloud Services
- Coding & Logic
- Networking and Architecture
Some of these modules will include an option to take an examination in order to receive a professional certificate.
To apply please send your CV to Alex Fearnley, Estio Training at firstname.lastname@example.org