Jagex Ltd, the UK’s leading independent online games studio, is looking for an exceptional and passionate programmer to join our RuneScape Technologies team.
Joining the RuneScape Technologies team, you would be working with our code libraries, scripting languages and game engine technologies. You will have key responsibilities for the server technologies powering RuneScape, with the ability to affect its future development.
We are looking for people who have excelled in the field of computer programming to join our fast-paced team, with successful candidates being proficient in all aspects of programming and looking to take on technical challenges. We’re keen to develop people’s passions and as a studio of over 300 people we offer lots of chances to progress your career and advance within the studio.
Jagex is most well known for the record breaking game Runescape but we have many other exciting projects ongoing including bringing Runescape to mobile, developing a brand new MMO amongst other top secret and exciting things.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a fast-paced online games company and face some exciting challenges based around online gaming. We are open to candidates from a games background or a related industry.
Key Duties Include:
- Programming using Java to service assigned and scheduled requests for new enhanced technology in a flexible and fast-paced environment
- Developing client server architecture, having key ownership of the server technology powering RuneScape
- Researching, innovating and developing new game engine technology
- Working to keep our industry-leading technology ahead of the competition
- Being constantly proactive in finding ways to make our game technology faster, slimmer and more effective
- Extremely proficient with Java
- Server / Backend experience and solving complex problems
- Experience working in a high-load environment
- A passion for innovating solutions and solving problems in a unique technology stack
- Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
- Game industry experience or a related consumer facing environment
- Knowledge of other platforms including, but not limited to, Mac OS, Linux, iOS and Android
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, Bash, Perl or similar
- Experience playing Runescape