Art Austin, Texas
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? How about more than one? Certain Affinity is an exclusive Austin studio comprised of a tightly-knit group of experienced industry veterans committed to a solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing multiple AAA FPS products. In addition we are creating compelling new games of our own.
As an Environment Artist at Certain Affinity, you’ll have the opportunity to work with our internal team by creating and fine-tuning all elements, including skybox, set dressing, materials, composition and lighting. Above all else, our environment artists are the artistic advocates for the level and understand all the steps required to bring a world to completion.
- Work with the Project Art Director and concept team to define the map vision
- Collaborate daily with Design to ensure that Art reinforces gameplay
- Work closely with production to define deliverables and communicate expectations to the team
- Clarify goals and facilitate decision making
- Author and direct the creation “gold standard” environment assets including materials, props, architecture, flora, terrain, and light schemes
- Work on discrete play-spaces from inception to implementation to final performance optimizations
- 2+ years experience in the game industry, specifically modeling, texturing and lighting environments
- Experience using proprietary editors, software and tools
- Experience establishing and driving new workflows for content creation
- Shipped 2+ AAA title as an environment artist
- Experience leading other artists
- Strong foundation knowledge in traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing and environmental and/or architectural illustration
- Solid understanding of the aesthetics of environment, function vs. form relationships, as well as what makes a game level fun and intriguing
- Expert at improvising visual direction when lacking a specific concept or design
- Solid understanding of color theory and the ability to create balanced and appealing scenes
- Able to create current-gen materials and textures.
- Proficient knowledge of Photoshop, Z-Brush, Maya and/or other 3D software packages
- An aptitude and desire to identify and solve technical issues related to workflow, rendering and performance
- Excellent understanding of art pipelines and workflows
- Can effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers.
- Appreciation of how the design and composition of an environment affects gameplay
Shipped 1+ AAA title in last 3 years