Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 400 staff currently based in our Sheffield, Nottingham and Pune, India studios.
Since our inception in 2003, we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Little Big Planet 3 (PlayStation 4, / PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform ), Hitman (multi-platform), Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One / Windows) and Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio has a number of projects well under way now, including ' Project Nova ' - an online multiplayer shooter set in the Eve Online universe - published by CCP, with many more exciting opportunities ahead.
2018 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Role and Purpose
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced build engineer to join the Sumo Nottingham teams to assist with development of existing console and Windows based projects.
- Work with the code team and production to achieve the highest possible quality product
- Design, develop and maintain the processes used for manual and automated build and test of the game and asset pipeline software
- Perform first line diagnosis of build and test failures and report diagnosis results to the relevant team members
Skills Experience and Qualifications
- Experience with Jenkins, TeamCity or similar build systems
- Experience with Maven, Gradle, or similar build management tools
- Strong understanding of SCCM tools such as Perforce, git and Subversion.
- Solid understanding of Linux, OSX and Windows Operating Systems
- Experience in a minimum of one scripting language (Python, Bash, Perl or Ruby)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in a range of programming languages (Java, C#, C++)
- Experience with IDEs and debugging tools, e.g. Visual Studio, gdb
- Experience deploying to cloud compute and storage environments
- Game industry experience, and experience of console build tool chains
Demonstrated Ability To:
- Communicate effectively within a large multidisciplinary group project environment
- Create and support automated build and test systems from start to finish
- Quickly master tools and development processes
- Take direction and criticism
- Organise own work and perform well under pressure
- Show professionalism and the ability to function well within a team
- Be Self-motivated
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes' walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.