Sports Interactive (SI) is the world's leading developer of football management simulations through its Football Manager series of games. Founded in 1994 and now based in East London's booming technology hub at Here East in Stratford, SI, as a continually successful and profitable company, is now looking to expand its full-time staff as it pushes out across both existing and emerging gaming platforms.
SI's games have enjoyed an unparalleled history of commercial and critical success, with 12 of its creations among the UK's Top 20 fastest-selling PC games of all time and five in the UK's top 20 best-selling PC games of all time. Sports Interactive became a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006.The studio is a vibrant environment, full of talented and dedicated people with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy working within a close-knit team as part of a lively, self-motivated and forward thinking company.
Sports Interactive looks after its staff's well-being with free gym membership, in-house massage therapy, a leading benefits package and a flexible working schedule that make the studio a relaxed and friendly place to work (there are five staff lunchtime football teams and a wide range of regular social events). We're also very proud of having one of the lowest turnovers of staff in the industry. Further information on Sports Interactive and its games is available on the SI website,
We are looking for talented graphics programmers to help us take Football Manager to the next level. You will be working on our graphics engine, which is used across multiple projects and products for visualising matches in 3D. Your focus will be on visuals; improving our graphics in general and composing and rendering a large variety of stadiums, pitch types, weather types, crowds and environments covering every level of football from the tiniest grounds to 80,000-seat behemoths.
We have recently switched to a new graphics engine that targets more modern graphics APIs such as Direct X 11/12, Vulkan and Metal. You will have the opportunity to further improve this engine and shape its future direction. Our other major project is a redevelopment of our animation composition system, so any interest in that area could be a bonus.
Football Manager ships on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android, and we're always looking at additional platforms, so there's plenty of scope for an interest in a particular technology or platform.
- Working with artists to develop stunning visuals
- Working with animators to develop a first-class motion generation system
- Developing new features for future Football Manager releases
- Improving the performance and stability of our graphics engine
- Mentor less experienced colleagues to improve knowledge and best practices
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience with real-time graphics
- Experience with C++ and low-level graphics APIs: Direct X, OpenGL, OpenGLES, and Metal
- Experience with shader development using HLSL and GLSL
- Good grasp of 3D graphics-related math: vectors, matrices, view projections, geometry, and linear algebra in general
- Familiarity with modern GPU architectures, and recent graphics techniques
- Specialist knowledge and experience in at least one of these areas: rendering pipelines, shader authoring, visual effects, asset pipelines, or animation.
- Ability to work within a large C++ codebase