Purpose of the role
We are seeking a 3D Artist to join our team at Frontier. We have a name for making beautiful games in diverse genres and art styles. The successful candidate will be working on one of the exciting new games in our portfolio, that includes Jurassic World Evolutions, Elite and Planet Coaster.
The successful candidate will be experienced in the full spectrum of environment modelling including hard-surface. The successful artist will also be inspired by the use of visual narrative and proactively seek out ways to communicate a model's history within the game-world.
We expect the artist to be experienced and comfortable following a concept in detail. The exemplar artist can combine their understanding of a game's visual style and real-time world art to take even a loose sketch to an inspiring location in-game.
While the role will initially be working on a photo-realistic game-world we fully expect the successful candidate to utilise their keen visual and sculptural skills on the breadth of Frontier's stylistically diverse and growing catalogue of games.
- Communicate visual ideas within the team quickly, through well-honed drawn skills, both digitally and in traditional media
- Create and maintain fully textured 3D prop and modular assets, and to be undaunted working with large-scale locations
- Work with fellow artists to maintain the highest-quality throughout the game world
- Work with the Designers to ensure environments are unified in both fidelity and play experience.
- Ability to appreciate, respond to and provide constructive critique
- Desire to collaborate to create an immersive game world
- A great work ethic to work hard, play hard and inspire colleagues with quality
- Show initiative and be proactive to get the best from our powerful Cobra engine.
Qualifications & Experience
- Solid skills in hard surface modelling, preferably in Maya
- Proven skills in photorealistic surfacing using tools such as Substance or Quixel
- Experience with PBR and a real-time engines
- Experience in working on a game team either commercially or on a completed mod with multiple releases
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting and colour
- A keen eye for spinning narrative and life into the environment
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Good English skills both verbal and written
- Strong traditional art skills.
- Proven observational skills. You won't be able to tell good lies if you don't understand the world around you
- Modelling skills outside of hard-surface; versatility is valuable
- Experience in organic modelling using ZBrush, Mudbox or similar
- An appreciation of stylised modelling and surfacing.