Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Kafka)
Our mission is to build effective, stable and reliable, large scale infrastructure, tools, and services for our games and product teams to allow them to focus on creating great games. We strive to empower developer teams to be autonomous and flexible and continuously work to create a self service model for our tech by being in close collaboration with development teams in the full product life cycle.
We engineer and provide the shared infrastructure serving all of our games, as well as the developer environments and supporting tech like observability, log management, and event transport. This includes everything from working in the datacenters and writing orchestration and automation for our production stack to troubleshooting distributed systems and resolving production incidents.
We are currently working on multiple projects redefining our infrastructure. Among other things we have major efforts to modernize our compute provisioning platform, automate our production networking, as well as evolving all supporting software and orchestration.
The Application team is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the production application infrastructure. These applications serve billions of data objects representing game states, messaging, and much more that constantly serve hundreds of thousands of requests per second with low millisecond response times.
Being part of the team, you will write software to support and automate our infrastructure as well as manage and plan our environment, working in close collaboration with the rest of the Infrastructure Engineering organization and backend-developer teams.
Your role within our Kingdom
You will join the application team and work extensively with our Kafka deployment, the core of our streaming processing platforms flowing tens of billions of events every day. This means you will implement, coordinate, plan, and communicate about all aspects of our Kafka usage at King. We think that you are a curious, humble, driven, collaborative, and responsible person who loves to work with infrastructure as code.
In addition to this, you will also help the team to various degrees, on its core duties in the following areas:
* Develop and maintain utilities and libraries supporting our distributed infrastructure, mostly in Python
* Build automation and improve the resilience of the systems serving our games
* Evaluate new technologies, run benchmarks, and perform capacity planning, for existing and future deployments
* Performance analysis, optimization, and workload characteristics to minimize the resource utilization and effectiveness of our backend
* Work closely with other teams on incident resolution and proactive strengthening of King's site reliability
* Create and maintain our deployment pipelines
* Provide subject matter expertise for our technologies and systems to stakeholders
* Troubleshooting and incident management
Skills to create thrills
* Experience working with Kafka or other similar streaming data platforms
* Strong development skills in Python, and some knowledge of Java, Perl, SQL, or similar
* Experience automating and orchestrating distributed systems as well as creating internal tools such as service discovery integrations or metrics pipelines
* Interest or experience in
Database technologies like MySQL, Cassandra, HDFS/Hadoop, etc
Monitoring systems like OpenTSDB, InfluxDB, Graphite, etc
Log management systems like Graylog, the ELK stack, etc
Orchestration frameworks like Ansible, Salt, etc
* Familiarity with Linux performance tools
* Good communication skills
A great saga needs all sorts of heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace, great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply can't expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes. And that's it.
We're Seriously Playful
Officially, we're a leading interactive entertainment company for the mobile world. Unofficially, we're a serious business that's not afraid to have fun. Every day at King, we mix intuition with logic, art with science and magic with mathematics to create the games the world loves to play. Together with our parent company Activision Blizzard, our mission is to bring moments of magic to everyday life. If you think this is something you can help us achieve, let's talk.
Want to join our Kingdom? You'll find all you need to apply, plus more information on our culture, values and benefits, including relocation packages at jobs.king.com. All applications should be made in English.