Role and Purpose
If you are looking for a new senior opportunity in the gaming industry, they don't come better than this. As Technical Director of Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio, you will be responsible for moulding, shaping and setting the standard for technical work across the studio. Working alongside the Studio Director and other discipline directors to deliver AAA titles.
Our Nottingham location has the benefit of being part of a set of studios but retaining the feel of an independent. The addition of a Technical Director will ensure that we continue to build our programming team, maintain our development cadence and successfully deliver quality code. If you like to keep your eye in, hands dirty and write some code...well there might even be time for that too.
You will undoubtedly come from a technical background and have proven gaming experience working on either console or PC releases.
Within this role you will:
- Take the lead in technical strategy and direction for the studio.
- Act as a sounding board for Project Leads.
- Be able to grow and develop the technical teams, with a focus on mentoring, developing team members and performance management.
- Be responsible for ensuring we follow solid coding practices and maintaining a high bar for our code quality.
- Ensure positive working relationships with other Discipline Directors across the whole of Sumo Digital.
Skills Experience and Qualifications
You will have:
- Solid knowledge of C++
- Proven commercial leadership experience in the gaming industry either as a Technical Director, or a Senior/Lead on a major AAA game.
- Experience working on games for console or PC.
- A consultative approach, working across the whole studio to deliver a variety of projects.
- Exceptional management and communication skills.
- Sound understanding of software development practices.
If you want to have an open but confidential conversation about this vacancy please don't hesitate to get in touch with Holly, our Talent Acquisition Manager; email@example.com or 0114 2616664.
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 400 staff currently based in our Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and Pune, India studios.
Since our inception in 2003, we have had a had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Little Big Planet 3 (PlayStation 4, / PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform ), Hitman (multi-platform), Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One / Windows) and Snake Pass (multi-platform) . We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio has a number of projects well under way now, including ' Project Nova ' - an online multiplayer shooter set in the Eve Online universe - published by CCP, with many more exciting opportunities ahead.
2018 will be Sumo's biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
What We Offer
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our annual Sumo Big Day Out, cash on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly talented people who enjoy shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.