Java Backend Developer - Game Systems
King operates mobile games at a massive scale. With titles like Candy Crush, Bubble Witch and Farm Heroes our code runs on hundreds of millions of devices across the world. Behind the scenes there are few hundreds of server running our own code in our own data centers handling requests from millions of concurrent players.
The Game Systems team develops and maintains the underlying tech that makes this possible. As a member of this team you will work with highly skilled people on these fundamental building blocks. You will see message queues passing tens of billions of messages per day, databases processing a million queries per second and web services responding to clients every microsecond.
Your role within our Kingdom
We are looking for a talented person to join our team working with the backend systems. Tasks within the team vary greatly but include
* Working King's internal Java server frameworks
* Developing and maintaining support systems for our game services
* Developing and maintaining services and libraries used by game teams and business
* DevOps and incident response
* Foundational work to handle deploying and running our servers in the data center
* Working with game teams to enable the features they want to build
* Scaling and tuning our services to handle the high loads we put on them
* Maintaining and improving our existing code base
As a new member of the team we offer a unique opportunity to be involved hands on and learn as you go. The wide responsibilities of the team give a wide array of challenges to conquer and King offers many opportunities for training and personal development.
Skills to create thrills
* Degree in Computer Science or similar
* Minimum 2 years experience as developer working with Java
* Experience operating a backend system with live users
* Comfortable working in a linux environment
* Excellent communication skills in English
* Experience working with message queues or streaming technology. (Kafka)
* Experience working with databases (MySQL)
* Experience integrating 3rd party APIs over IP
* Experience making libraries and APIs for other developers to use
A great saga needs all sorts of heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace, great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply can't expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes. And that's it.
We're Seriously Playful
Officially, we're a leading interactive entertainment company for the mobile world. Unofficially, we're a serious business that's not afraid to have fun. Every day at King, we mix intuition with logic, art with science and magic with mathematics to create the games the world loves to play. Together with our parent company Activision Blizzard, our mission is to bring moments of magic to everyday life. If you think this is something you can help us achieve, let's talk.
Want to join our Kingdom? You'll find all you need to apply, plus more information on our culture, values and benefits, including relocation packages at jobs.king.com. All applications should be made in English.