PAX West 2017 – Official Judge Selection
In September 2017 we were chosen and offered a front row location at PAX West 2017. A video of the playable demo showcased at the conference over the course of 4 days can be seen by following the link below.
Note: Mechanics shown in video are from 2017. Current 2018 mechanics have gone through incremental `after PAX` improvements.
Once Upon a Puppet - Video Link
Want to be a part of an indie team bound for success ?
Once Upon a Puppet is an award winning 2.5D puzzle-platforming game, with exquisite 2.5D graphics, set for release on PC and consoles. It features a mysterious world, a stimulating combination of puzzle-solving and platforming, and a fantastical art style.
This is an opportunity for you to help us forge the story of a puppet’s epic quest through a eerie and unique world of abandoned theater stages. With the team, you'll help direct gameplay and weave an impactful, memorable experience for players to enjoy.
Who are we looking for ?
We are looking for a wildly creative and talented Level Designer*who can create memorable levels that are deeply intertwined with our visual narrative*and outstanding atmosphere.
You will be responsible for designing and prototyping levels in Unity, balancing gameplay, iterating, reacting to feedback and working with other team members to create a game that players will play, love and talk about for hours.
You will join a collaborative bunch of industry professionals, bringing ideas from initial concept/prototypes all the way to a finished product.
Come join our small team so that we can together bring puppets back to life for a new audience to enjoy!
About Flatter Than Earth
Flatter Than Earth is an independent game development studio located in San Francisco with most members working remotely beyond California. We are devoted to creating immersive fun fantasy worlds that have gameplay to match. We’re a small team, so everyone here has opportunities to provide feedback and unleash their creativity! Our current project, Once Upon a Puppet aims to capture the attention and unleash the imagination of gamers of all ages! We work in Unity, and we plan to launch on Steam and Consoles Q3 2019.
- Become deeply familiar with our core game mechanics and propose cleaver gameplay scenarios that demonstrate the full potential of our core.
- Work together with the team to brainstorm & create interesting and unique gameplay scenarios.
- Create quick prototypes and levels based on initial sketches and ideas.
- Evolve designs and prototypes based on personal instinct, player psychology (theory), play testing and feedback.
- Pursue prototypes that test & demonstrate our gameplay mechanics, choose iterations that shine the brightest and are most memorable yet fitting to our core experiential experience.
- Work with the designers and artists to make sure the visual narrative is conveyed properly and clearly through level design and in-game art.
- Capable of working with modular & non-modular 3D environment pieces.
- Organize assets into manageable Unity hierarchy structures.
- Make tradeoffs to ship a sizable amount of content, on time, at the highest possible quality.
- Drive communication and collaboration between all departments towards the approved designs. Set priorities and objectives together with key stakeholder
- Provide and receive critiques in a constructive manner with suggestions and solutions for improvement.
- Assist in advocating best practices to the content team.
- Attend and participate in daily stand-up and weekly demo, retrospective and organic planning sessions.
- Experience in launching a game. A minimum of one shipped AAA or known Indie title as a level designer.
- 2+ years of solid level design experience.
- 1+ year of level design experience within the platforming and/or puzzle genres.
- 1+ year of Unity engine experience in level designer capacity.
- Strong understanding of theory behind player motivations and overall player psychology that can be altered though proper level design.
- Good knowledge of a wide spectrum of level design concepts & gameplay outcomes.
- Ability to pitch ideas clearly and effectively.
- Strong creative ideas and imagination, working within the overall game vision.
- Affinity for the puzzle and platforming game audiences, and an appreciation for its different player types, motivation and needs.
- Ability to see multiple perspectives for any of the brainstormed & proposed designs.
- Ability to identify gameplay and balancing issues and to offer solutions to fix them.
- Ability to reason both creatively and logically.
- Ability to work autonomously and think proactively.
- Must be creative and flexible when faced with constraints.
- Ability to work effectively within a small team.
- Assist in advocating best practices within team.
- Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal.
- Comfortable with agile Scrum development.
- Experience in scripting or visual scripting tools, such as Playmaker.
- Experience with fairy tale inspired narrative and worlds.
- Have a critical eye for art, light and level composition.
- Experience with git or similar version control.
- Knowledge of PC and Console technology -- its boundaries and potential as it applies to games.
Additional Important Info
- This is a remote job offer. Covering relocation expenses is not possible at this time.
- TimeZone: Must overlap (50%) with PST/EST teammates.
- Job type: Full time with a Part time trail.
- Salary: Dependent on knowledge, skill and experience level.
- This is a minimum 12 months long term contract role with a very high possibility of further full-time engagement.
- We are looking for candidates that can start immediately.
- Cover Letter which can include:
- Why you are interested in working with us ? Does our game REALLY speak to you ?
- What games do you like and are currently playing?
- What is your favorite platformer or puzzle game of all time?