Lighting Artist (117901)
Requisition ID 117901 - Posted 02/15/2018 - Regular - EA Studios - Content - Art - Guildford - Surrey - United Kingdom - Europe
Job Description Print Preview
Email Job to Friend
Return to List
We are EA
We entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
Artworks is a highly engaged content creation team within EA Studios. We are creatively driven and focused on high end visual production across multiple genres and art styles. Our art studios are in Vancouver, Orlando, Guildford, Gothenburg, and Shanghai. Working with our game team partners we share a unified passion for creating amazing experiences, and industry leading visuals. We are adventurous and creative. We are courageous and we take chances. We seek pioneers who cut new paths and conquer challenges with fierce determination. We look for the best in everyone.
The Challenge Ahead
Artworks is seeking a Lighting Artist to join the team at our Guildford studio. This is a major opportunity to contribute creatively to an exciting franchise. Lighting artists create atmosphere, add realism, tone, depth and emphasize drama or narrative also establishing and clarifying location, weather, time of day, etc. Lighting artists execute their work by leveraging their technical knowledge as well as their strong sense of aesthetics to light environments and scenes that meet the expectations of the art director and run within budget of the game engine.
They should have experience with a 3D package (ideally a real-time engine), demonstrating a solid understanding of rendering, lighting, shading networks, polygonal modeling, and texture UV's as well as strong troubleshooting and debugging skills.
Lighters should also understand the characteristics of light and how it is simulated in a CG environment; they should be able to work from reference materials, identifying and translating key lighting details.
What a Lighting Artist does at EA:
- Lighting a variety of different environments, from small levels to open worlds.
- Cinematic lighting of cutscenes and narrative scenes.
- Collaborating with all teams to push the boundaries of gameplay and graphics.
- Placing and tweaking of light sources within environments.
- Creation and capture of sky and cloud textures to create lighting setups for different conditions.
- Authoring of post processing and rendering features e.g. colour grading, ambient occlusion, reflections.
- Prototyping the use of lighting technology to reach the visual targets defined by the art direction.
- Collaborate with the Technical Art and Engineering teams to develop tools and pipelines.
A Lighting Artist needs:
- Deep understanding of physically based rendering technology and pipelines.
- Strong sense of lighting theory; colour space, exposure, light fixtures, natural light, reflections etc.
- Good understanding of cinematography and photography; the use of camera technology, composition and lighting to set the mood.
- Understanding the use of lighting as a powerful tool in gameplay clarity. For example; to guide the player forward, highlight objectives and enemies.
- Used to working with the balancing between visual quality and performance requirements
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process.
- Ability to acknowledge, diagnose and resolve visual issues throughout the production process.
- Knowledge of materials and textures and their impact on the perception of the lighting.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
We thought you might also want to know:
More about our studio: http://ghostgames.com/
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford