About the role
Frontier is looking to expand and develop its visual effects technologies, to further empower its content creators and wow its players. We're looking for a Principal Programmer with a passion for particles and beyond, someone with their own ideas as well as background knowledge from games or other high performance graphics applications on how to bring a whole new level of integrated VFX to Frontier's world class titles. Technologies such as particles (Including GPU particles), mesh effects, lighting, full screen effects, and more will fall under your remit that touches on most visual aspects of our titles.
You'll have the chance to collaborate with artists and coders and own this area of our technology, leveraging it across multiple titles and genres – this includes both new additions to Frontier's popular lines of games such as Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster, and new games featuring environments that will be brought to life through great VFX. Achieving great results requires a holistic view of the VFX in each game, so you will be expected to take an interest in the whole VFX pipeline from authoring tools through to runtime performance and everything in between. Frontier's proprietary COBRA engine allows us to develop in unique ways rather than being restricted by existing technologies, so if you want to make an 'explosive' contribution and you're keen to innovate and develop new techniques, this could be the role for you.
What we can offer
In return we offer a reward package to attract the best including a competitive salary, private healthcare for you and your family, and a range of flexible benefits from which you can select to suit your needs. You'll share in the success that you help to deliver through a generous company bonus scheme and share scheme participation, including a significant equity grant (through a Long Term Incentive Plan). If required, we can also offer support with re-relocation including a minimum relocation allowance of £5000 (tax free). Check out the benefits section on our website for further details on our total reward package.
Frontier is a studio with a long, successful and varied history of AAA development and this is an exciting time to join us, following our move to self publishing, and the breakout successes of Elite: Dangerous and Planet Coaster. We're expecting Jurassic World: Evolution to continue our story; it's already one of the most anticipated games of 2018. You'll have the opportunity to work across these existing titles and other exciting unannounced projects. If that sounds interesting, why not contact us for an informal chat or apply on-line?
Job Description Key Accountabilities
- Building, extending and supporting an enhanced VFX pipeline for the COBRA engine
- Collaborating with artists to establish and improve VFX authoring processes
- Working with other programmers and technical artists to integrate VFX into games
- Profiling and optimising VFX across multiple target platforms
- Pro-actively contributing to both the VFX and cross-discipline teams
- As a senior member of the programming team, you will be expected to support the development of colleagues, including graduates.
- Enjoys working collaboratively with a cross-discipline team
- Ability to solve problems and adapt to emerging requirements
- Open to exploring new ideas and approaches
- Gives and receives criticism well
- Ability and willingness to develop others through effective mentoring and coaching skills
- Ability to see the bigger picture and make a wider strategic contribution.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- A proven track record at Senior/Principal level in high quality realtime VFX programming is essential. AAA games experience is preferable but we will consider candidates with relevant experience from outside the games industry e.g. film or television
- Knowledge of modern realtime graphics techniques for VFX
- Strong C++ and shader programming experience
- Broad understanding of game engine and tools architecture
- Familiarity with art authoring pipelines is a bonus.