Senior Server Engineer
Do you think online is the future of gaming? Do you feel that multiplayer adds fun and replay value? This could be for you. We are looking for a talented Game Server Engineer to join our mobile game development team. You will be part of a highly skilled and innovative group that is responsible for creating world class mobile games. Your focus and responsibility will be on creating servers and databases for game development, utilizing and combining multiple technologies to create an online game that will be played competitively by millions of players.
We’re looking for candidates who combine strong programming skills with a passion for games, and the ability to work well with others. Your input, technical abilities and architectural expertise will help contribute to our long-term development and direction, and will be crucial to our games’ success. We want skilled engineers that live and breathe code, yet can still operate and communicate effectively in a highly interactive environment and can “wear many hats”.
You will be working closely with client, tool and game programmers, as well as other disciplines including Art, Design, Production, QA and Analytics. As part of a cross-functional and agile team, you will help implement and drive the development of new features on the backend side. At the same time, you will be empowered to create and challenged to learn.
- Design and implement Server-Side Deterministic Physics Gameplay for Authoritative Server backend architecture
- Create high availability, service-oriented, scalable and secure systems for game features and functionality and user data transfer and storage
- Handle transfer of encrypted user data safely and securely between client mobile app and server
- Setting up and working with data and web services such as AWS
- Utilize new hardware and software technologies in an intelligent and efficient manner, for storage, caching, database, logging and analytics capabilities.
- Participate in group collaboration and utilize engineering best practices, such as agile development, scrum, code reviews, etc.
- Work with all departments to ensure we have the best systems and tools to make our teams efficient and our games great.
- Ideally you’ve worked in multiplayer/online areas on a AAA (mobile) title
- Ability to architect scalable systems from scratch
- Ability to build server-authoritative game backend systems
- A passion for hands-on game development with a focus on attention to detail
- Experience with physics gameplay and multiplayer
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, equivalent engineering track and/or work experience.
- Strong computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithms, test driven development, code review and data structures.
- Software engineering skills, including the ability to write clear, maintainable, robust code.
- Source control system knowledge of git, lfs and gitflow for client (Unity mobile) and server code.
- Strong knowledge of C#
- Experience or familiarity with Amazon services such as EC2 and VPC and alternatives such as Azure, Linode and other cloud hosting services
- Knowledge of REST, mobile services and basic web development.
- Experience with networking fundamentals and efficient object serialization.
- Understanding of security issues and client/server architectures, allowing for different game modes, such as PvP battle.
- Game industry experience, shipped previous cross platform titles.
- Ability to quickly understand existing code and enhance/extend an existing architecture.
- Experience developing in and supporting all stages of the development lifecycle.
Nice to have:
- Expertise with database and caching tech, such as MySQL, Redis, and MemCached.
- Expert on network protocols: TCP, UDP, HTTP
- Unity Cloud Build or other continuous integration build processes
- Expert on SQL and relational database operation
Get creative. Take risks. Push the boundaries of gaming. Be a member of an awesome team. We’re looking for the best game-makers to help pioneer the future of our industry.
If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you.