More information about this job
Home to the iconic massive multiplayer online role-playing game RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, we’re a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do.
We’ve welcomed over 250 million players to RuneScape’s world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve.
From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join together in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest.
Together with our players, we’re united as one Jagex tribe. Together we’re building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere.
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented, self-motivated Environment Artist to join us at our multi-award winning studio.
The successful applicant will be joining a team of environment artists; collaborating with a highly creative team of industry experts; working on our flagship title RuneScape.
Check out some of our recent environment work: RuneScape Showcase
You'll form part of an already strong environment art team. Your expertise will be put to use through the creation of diverse, high quality fantasy environments and props, whilst being mindful of form vs. function, as well as pushing the boundaries of our in-house technologies.
We're looking for an applicant that's able to creatively solve problems and has a passion and thirst for knowledge for all things environment art related.
Working within our talented environment art team, you will:
- Produce immersive, fantastical environments that enhance gameplay whilst being mindful of performance.
- Collaborate with other disciplines to deliver new and exciting updates for RuneScape.
- Work closely with the art director and lead artists to ensure collaboration, quality and consistency of art across RuneScape.
- Work with our technical artists to explore new techniques and tools whilst developing and maintaining technical pipelines, tools and workflows.
WHAT WE NEED
- Experience as an environment artist.
- Great communication skills both verbally and written, complemented by a positive can-do attitude.
- High level time management skills, being proactive and self-motivated, and at times, able to work without direct supervision.
- Proven experience in low and high poly modelling, UV mapping, shading and texturing in relevant 2D and 3D software packages such as 3DS Max, Maya and Photoshop.
- In depth knowledge of games development pipelines, environments, lighting, and engines, preferably with examples of each.
- A strong eye for form, shape, structure, colour, and light in 3D. Proficiency in the creation of hand painted textures or the flexibility to adapt to our in-house art style.
- A passion for games and game development.
EVEN BETTER IF
- You have experience using sculpting packages such as ZBrush or Mudbox
- An ability to articulate designs and ideas through traditional 2D art skills
- You have experience in architecture, level design, and/or photography
We can only consider applicants who include portfolio work in an online format such as personal website, blog or online album
- To behave at all times in a professional manner, maintaining a positive and conscientious work ethic whilst also demonstrating initiative and determination to get the job done
- To work effectively with colleagues both within the immediate team and across the company whenever necessary
- To demonstrate a willingness to adapt to the evolving environment of the company, teams and work requirements
- Drive to learn, grown and improve their current skill set and that of the function. Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief