Position at Hardlight
Role Overview - Technical Artist
We are looking to expand our highly skilled art team and are looking for a passionate Technical Artist, with mobile development experience, who thrives in an agile environment. As a HARDlight Tech Artist, you help bridge the gap between code and visual designs to streamline and refine development process, pushing visual fidelity of our games to the next level. As mobile hardware rapidly accelerates, HARDlight is keen to remain at the forefront of visual design and continue to push the envelope with your help.
- Work closely with the Lead Artists and Art Director to help build rapid prototypes of experimental features using Unity or other mobile platform tools.
- Help develop internal toolsets to maintain and optimise art assets to ensure maximum device compatibility.
- Create, write and optimise game Shaders, VFX and code to push the visual envelope on new devices, whilst ensuring maximum compatibility on existing mobile devices.
- Document and structure 'support guidelines' for both internal and external staff to follow during development and live operations to ensure assets are developed consistently throughout each title's lifetime and ensure that knowledge is passed on project to project.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Expert-level experience using Unity Game Engine and tools written using C# / JS.
- Strong understanding of mobile hardware specifications and experience in optimising games for them.
- In-depth experience in creating and optimising VFX and particle systems using Unity.
- Confident in prototyping, writing and optimising HLSL based shader code.
- Internally driven and proactive, harbouring a deep passion for establishing and maintaining game code and asset standards with a fastidious attention to detail.
- Adept in using 2D and 3D packages including Adobe Photoshop and Autodesk 3DsMax / Maya.
- Great communication skills and an ability to clearly articulate reasoning behind design decisions.
A portfolio demonstrating all aspects of your skill is REQUIRED
- Experience in character pipelines, including skinning and rigging a plus!
- Mobile hardware and GPU analysis experience using Android Studio and Apple XCode.
- Development experience on a wide variety of mobile platforms creating casual and/or mobile games.
- Skills in animation and special effects (After Effects / Flash or similar).
Why work at HARDlight?
- Industry leading competitive salary & benefits. Including (but not limited to), Family Healthcare, pension.
- Flexible working hours.
- Season ticket loan for Rail travel.
- Generous developer Bonus scheme.
- Free breakfast and fruit.
- The opportunity to be a large part of a small team developing innovative titles with a huge SEGA back catalogue.
- Based in the heart of England in stunning historic Royal Leamington Spa, with great connections to London and Birmingham.