Do you have a passion for Big Data technologies? Are you excited by the idea of crafting systems processing billions of events per day, helping guide the development of one of the biggest game franchises on the planet? Do you live and breathe Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Java, Scala, Python, and similar technologies in a cloud environment? If so, our Senior Data Engineer role in our Vancouver, BC office is for you!
As an integral part of our Data Services team, you'll help build and extend our petabyte-scale Data Lake, and design/build new near-realtime systems using modern and cutting-edge streaming technologies on our AWS-based platform.
• Developing, maintaining, and extending our Java / Python code base, including our AWS-based ingestion pipeline, custom ETL, queueing, and Hadoop components.
• Mentor junior/intermediate Data Engineers and Data Architects on best practices for various development methodologies and cloud-based big data architecture.
• Accountable for the development and production-readiness of multiple large-scale components throughout our data pipeline.
• Balance the needs of a highly dynamic customer environment with the need for robust production systems.
• Approach all systems and interactions with a customer-first focus, including a solid understanding of the trade-offs between rapid solutions and overall platform stability.
• Working with our Software Architect and Development Manager, drive an overall architectural vision that efficiently delivers on both near-realtime and batch processes.
• Work alongside our Data Architects and Ops teams to ensure our AWS-based platform delivers on customer needs, including maintenance of our existing systems and design/delivery on new requirements.
• A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
• Proven verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical ideas to end users.
• Proven ability to understand customer workflows, analyze architecturally significant requirements, and implement systems to match.
• 5+ years of experience with Java, Python, Scala, and/or other relevant languages.
• 3+ years of experience with Big Data technologies (Hadoop, Kafka, etc.).
• Experience with real-time data processing.
• Experience with version control.
• Experience with Unix/Linux.
• Experience with event based micro-service architectures.
• Experience with SQL and database a strong nice-to-have.
• Experience working with cloud infrastructures.
• Knowledgeable and passionate about software development best practices, including testing and build automation
What We Offer:
• An excellent salary
• 25 days holidays
• Annual bonus program
• Annual pay review
• Pension matching contributions
• Top-tier healthcare for you and your family
• Life insurance coverage
• Free Activision Games
• Snacks 24/7
• Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
• A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source