Demonware's Titles department is responsible for developing and running the services and infrastructure for some of the largest entertainment franchises in the world. We work side by side with game studios at Activision, like Treyarch and Free Style Games, to make radical game designs a reality at massive scale. We then ensure that those features keep running 24/7 for years after launch. We also work closely with all departments at Demonware to influence and execute on our technical direction so that improve how we ship our titles in future.
We are looking for an experienced SRE who can provide an input into all areas of service development: working directly with other engineers to ensure service design is reliable and scalable; supporting services in production by being part of an on-call rota, debugging problems at scale, and automating to prevent issues happening in the first place; and working closely with other departments to ensure that our platform and product technologies support the future of the titles department.
This is a 12 month contract position at Demonware's Vancouver office in Canada.
• Create scalable services.
• Be a part of a full-service and cross disciplinary development team, participating in full development process, including design, capacity planning, and production deployments.
• Contribute improvements to the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Demonware's services.
• Support scalable services.
• Be a part of our on-call rotation, which is a responsibility you'll share with your engineering team and other Demonware engineers around the world.
• Debug problems at scale for our mission critical services, and help our platform and service teams to implement last fixes to recurring issues.
• Contribute to our automation tools and platform to more efficiently detect, address, and prevent problems from recurring.
• Influencing our technology.
• Be an expert customer of our platform teams, helping them to shape our architecture. Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale distributed systems.
• Influence a culture of service ownership at Demonware. Engage in training and mentoring to help develop other engineers with this mindset.Requirements
• 3+ years relevant work experience, including in a high-volume or critical production service environment
• Experience working at scale - hundreds or thousands of servers
• Automation / scripting skills and a desire to automate all the things
• Comfortable with at least one scripting language, e.g. Python or Ruby
• Experience with at least one major database MySQL, Cassandra, Hadoop, etc.
• Solid understanding of fundamental technologies, e.g. TCP/IP, Linux/Unix internals
• Demonstrable capacity for an investigative approach and keen to learn new technologies
• Demonstrated excellence in communicating within and across teamsDesirable
• Background in Software Engineering is advantageous
• Experience with configuration management systems, e.g. Puppet, Chef, CFEngine
• Experience in monitoring and metrics systems, e.g. Nagios, Zabbix, Graphite, Cacti
• Experience working with public cloud providers and cloud technologiesWhat Demonware Offers
• An excellent salary, with annual performance reviews
• 25 days holidays
• Annual bonus program
• Annual pay review
• Pension matching contributions
• Top-tier healthcare for you and your family
• Life insurance coverage
• Free Activision Games
• Snacks 24/7
• Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
• A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open sourcePlease note: We do not require agency assistance at this time.