Demonware builds and provides the online services behind hugely popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty and Skylanders. We do matchmaking, microtransactions, and data analytics for almost half a billion users. Demonware has offices in Dublin, Ireland; Vancouver, Canada; and Shanghai, China, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard Inc.
The Titles Department at Demonware is responsible for developing, launching and maintaining services for some of the world's largest gaming franchises. We are looking for an experienced engineer to join this department to build and support the tools and automation systems our engineers depend on to deliver the new generation of AAA titles.
Most of our services are developed using Python and C++. We also use many supporting technologies such as MySQL, Redis, Kafka, and Cassandra. Our services are low-latency and large-scale distributed systems that can handle millions of concurrently connected users, and our tooling and automation need to operate at scale and with the reliability expected from a world-class production system.
In addition to design and develop software tools, we expect our experienced engineers to be able to mentor and grow others in the organisation. So we are looking for someone who enjoys software engineering challenges and the opportunity to pass on that experience to others.
• Develop new tools to improve workflows across the department (e.g. CI, deployments, and testing)
• Contribute to the team's roadmap, including requirements gathering, design, and even deprecation & replacement of our existing tools
• Own, operate and support the tools and automation that you and your team develop
• Work with all layers of the application stack, from front-end/CLI UX to the backend storage and management of application data
• Provide outstanding support to the engineers who utilize and depend on your tools and automation to deliver AAA services to our studio customers
• Participate in design and code review of the software produced on the team
• Identify problems or inefficiencies facing our engineers and drive adoption of new tools, process, or infrastructure to help make everyone's lives better
• Provide technical mentorship to other team members through software engineering methodologies Requirements:
• Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent program preferred
• Passionate about problem solving and automating everything
• Excellent Python skills, or in a similar language
• Experience with at least one major data store such as MySQL, Cassandra, or Redis
• Experience with Linux, supporting and operating services in production
• Experience with UX/UI development & web frameworks a plus
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Has initiative, and is able to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision
• Enjoys working with engineering colleagues on a day-to-day basis
• Willingness to travel for visits to our other international offices is desirableWhat Demonware Offers:
• An excellent salary, with annual performance evaluations
• 25 days holidays
• Annual bonus program
• Annual pay review
• RRSP Matching
• Top-tier healthcare for you and your family
• Life insurance coverage
• Free Activision Games
• Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
• A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a dedication to open source