More information about this job
Jagex Games Studio is looking for an exceptional and passionate developer to join the RuneScape development team.
We are looking for interesting and creative people who revel in solving unique and interesting problems daily. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a fast-paced online games company based in Cambridge, and help us achieve our ambitious goals for the coming year and beyond.
You’ll be creating game content such as new game areas, mini-games, skills or gameplay improvements. Your focus will be on projects of a technical orientation. Complete training in our internal scripting language, RuneScript will be provided.
In return you’ll receive a competitive salary, options for a sponsored gym membership, private health care, flexible working, cycle repair, free parking and fresh fruit delivered to your team every day.
Expect to be invited to team events once a quarter as well as company-wide parties to celebrate our successes.
The successful applicant will be able to enjoy our newly refurbished office which includes contemporary break out areas, gaming zones, high tech meeting rooms, a huge Atrium with tiered seating and our very own private bar!
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop new game content
- RuneScape has a huge variety of content. You will be designing and implementing new content and game-play improvements, with a focus towards projects of a technical nature.
- You will utilize your technical design skills to produce efficient, scalable systems that can be easily adapted in the future.
Produce high quality code
- We use an internally developed scripting language, RuneScript. Your script needs to be safe, efficient and maintainable.
- To assist in the maintenance of the existing code. These tasks may include bug fixing and refactoring code to improve efficiency or maintainability.
Detailed technical knowledge
- You will become an expert in the systems and tools required to develop RuneScape content, and develop a basic understanding of the RuneScape game engine.
- You will have experience writing quality code in at least one programming or scripting language and be familiar with practices such as code reviews, maintenance and adhering to coding standards. Full training will be given in RuneScript and our in-house tools, but it is important that you can hit the ground running.
Strong Technical Design Skills
You have a proven ability to create and iterate robust, maintainable technical designs which consistently address the Core Aims for a project. You set an excellent example in technical design and coding quality.
Very strong communication
You’ll be working in a multi-skilled team alongside artists, QA and other professionals. You’ll need to be able to communicate effectively with people from a wide range of expertise and responsibilities.
Proven task and time management ability
You can work with tight deadlines in a project based environment, organising tasks and estimating time costs. Experience in Agile development and with project management solutions such as JIRA are beneficial.
You can take on and succeed at any task or issue that may emerge. You habitually take ownership, and can adapt to any situation.
A passion for games and the gaming community
You love to play, design and create great games, particularly MMORPGs. You are willing to take on board and act effectively on feedback from the community, giving our players the gameplay experience they love.
To behave at all times in a professional manner, maintaining a positive and conscientious work ethic whilst also demonstrating initiative and determination to get the job done.
To work effectively with colleagues both within the immediate team and across the company whenever necessary.
To demonstrate a willingness to adapt to the evolving environment of the company, teams and work requirements.
Drive to learn, grown and improve their current skill set and that of the function.
Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.